"Won't it knock their socks off to know that I'm a Ewing!"

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by TJames03, Jul 4, 2018.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +422
    Could a black half-sister of Jock's have worked on Dallas?

2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +567
    For what purpose?

3. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +567
    What would the story behind that be? Do you have something specific in mind?

4. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +422
    Well, you'd have to know a Dynasty story line to understand the comparison.

5. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +567
    I think CBS would prefer that their audience not need to watch Dynasty to understand the story.

If you have an original storyline in mind that explains how Jock's half sister happens to be black then what would be the reason? Suppose for example that the story is Jock's parents divorced when he was a child and his father married again, this time to a black woman. Well, was interracial marriage legal in Texas at that time? My guess would be no, since that was at least a hundred years ago. So it might appear to be too unrealistic to the audience that there was an interracial marriage that long ago in Texas.

We know from The Early Years movie that Jock wasn't prejudiced against black people, so Jock could have gotten along with his black half sister; so in that aspect the story could have worked. It just depends on what idea you have in mind for how Jock's half sister happened to be black. What was your idea for that part of the story?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,903
    When Diahann Carroll was shopping herself around to the various nighttime soaps circa 1984, she was told by the producer of one show that "we'll never have a black person on this show" --- assuming he meant anyone not named "Dora Mae".

And assuming Miss Carroll wasn't making that up.

I wonder which show it was.....???

[​IMG]

Although that little details seemed shoe-horned in to flatter the late actor. Given when and where Jock came along, and the business he was in at the time -- and his other attitudes -- the very idea that he was a civil rights proponent is highly suspect if not dishonest on the part of the writers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,911
    I thought I heard it somewhere that Diahann had contacted Aaron Spelling and said why don't you have a "black bitch" on television? Or something to that effect. But back to this posting. I'm not sure what the purpose of Jock having a half sister who was African American would accomplish. Are you suggesting that Dallas tackle this somehow as a race issue? Dallas was known to be respectful in showcasing taboo subjects.

8. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +567
    That was my first thought too. I asked the TS what the purpose was and if he could explain a little about his idea for the story but I don't expect a reply at this point.

Maybe he had no idea for a story and therefore there had no purpose in mind. I also doubt that interracial marriages were legal in Texas at the time one of Jock's parents could have had a child so she would have almost certainly would have been a bastard child. That would have been a huge scandal at the time. Jock's parents were never any real part of the whole Dallas story, so I doubt they would have run the story anyway. They never even showed Jason and he was Jock's brother, so I think it's unlikely they would bother with a story of a half-sister which would necessitate having to explain the history of Jock's parents and how this half-sister came to be which would have taken time away from stories going on in the present.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1