1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Emelee, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,596
    disappointing and Im gutted for them, but they were sloppy in the 2nd half
    Didnt think Kane did too much at all and all those nerve wracking passes back to the goalie, its -ve play
    Pickford was great despite Croatia scoring

Really hoped they would make it, and my fav tennis star Del Potro was knocked out at Wimbledon

Not a good day for BF :sad:

However I love Gareth Southgate and for the 2nd time in 18 years BBG is not my avatar tonight!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,498
    Well that didn't work. The plan was to post "coming" after tonight's match and "home" on the day of the final.

However, I'm so proud of the England team, not just for the magnificent way they have played throughout the tournament but also how they brought the country together at a time when we are more divided as a nation than at any time I can remember.

It's been a great ride and Gareth Southgate has been so dignified and positive throughout and a knighthood for him would be well deserved.

All credit to Croatia though. They are a small country with only 4 million people so it's an astonishing achievement for them to get to the final.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,884
    Shots on target: Croatia 7 England 1

Says it all.

Swami

4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,498
    Not really because shots on target don't tell the full story (btw it was Croatia 7, England 2). England scored an early goal and lead for a large part of the match so it was just as important for them to defend their lead as it was to create more goal scoring opportunities. However, other match statistics also put Croatia in front and they were the better side over the 120 mins.

I thought England were a bit too reliant on long balls to create chances whereas Croatia's approach was to complete more accurate passes to create their chances and that was the main difference between the teams and ultimately the difference between winning and losing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,607
    So France or Croatia in the final?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,498
    I'm genuinely torn. I speak some French, I have a number of French friends, I love visiting the country and one of my favourite ex-Arsenal players (Olivier Giroud) plays for the national team so I've always had a lot of affection for Les Bleus.

However, the scale of Croatia achievement is remarkable. The entire population of the country is around 4 million which is less than half the population of London and about 6% of the entire population of France. The team got to the final the hard way, playing extra time in all of their knock out matches, with 2 of them going to penalties. The investment in football in Croatia is a fraction of what is spent Western European teams which makes their success all the more noteworthy. I also think it would be good for international football if a different country won the World Cup.

On balance I think I would prefer Croatia to win but I would still be very happy if France were to do it.

7. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,596
    Gareth for PM! he is just a top bloke, if he continues as he is doing he has the makings of being a great England manager that we havent seen since the likes of lovely (Sir) Bobby Robson

England need to work on the midfield and running with a ball, they dont seem to be very good at that - they need a Gazza who can create a bit of magic - and i was getting annoyed at the number of times they passed back to the goalie and put Pickford under pressure

Kane peaked too soon in the tournament and thought Trippier was great throughout

Im really sorry they didnt do it but considering the fans a year ago were accusing the team of having no pride playing for England and throwing paper planes onto the pitch cos they were bored, i think Gareth has done a great job in changing that perception and with a young team - he will go onto have more success.

I have listened to 5 Live and rachel Burdon out in Russia and its been a great trip and to listen to her and interviews with fans from around the globe

Russia really have done well, its been a great, well organised tournament with no fan trouble and a great atmosphere and camaraderie between fans of different countries. And so many Russians supporting England as they love the Premier league here

Just bring on 2020!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,039
    If someone had told me at the start of this world cup that the England team would accomplish a top four placing I wouldn’t have believed it, but they have and I feel proud of them.

I don’t always become so involved with the world cup, sometimes I get interested due to the excitement in my house and other times it has passed me by. This has been the most exciting world cup I’ve watched and it’s all due to the attitude of Gareth Southgate and this set of players who've put the pride back into our national team. This feels like a new era for the England team, plus the experience they’ve had at this world cup will help them in future internationals. It feels great to actually like this team.

Next we play Belgium on Saturday for the 3rd and 4th placings. As we know Belgium have already won against England in the group stages, so even of we come 4th thats a massive achievement out of 32 teams.

I have nothing against France, but I will be cheering for Croatia. Everyone I've spoken to assumes that France will easily win, so I am hoping Croatia go against expectations.

Wow, that is high praise and I love it :D who else did you change your avatar for BF?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  9. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,596
    Changed it for a day to Larry Hagman when he died in 2012

I dont really care who wins the World Cup but since Croatia have never won it before I will root for them

• Like Like x 2
  10. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    One thing thrilled me when England lost: the guys that got those England 2018 tattoo are total morons! :lol:

I think people are too quick getting tattoos these days. Spur of the moment tattoos, not thinking of consequences.

These guys had a feeling (probably when guzzling down a pint) that England would win the World Cup. So the dumbasses go to really bad tattoo artists and gets huge tattoos of the World Cup trophy with the text "England 2018" and the other of Harry Kane with "World Cup winner 2018".

Well..... Idiots!!!!!! :laugh1:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44805960

They say they will keep them and that they are proud of the tattoos. Hmmm... I wonder if they feel the same in 5 years or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,596
    why anyone would want a tattoo in any shape or form is beyond me, personally I think they are tacky and just need to see the likes of poser and i love myslef Beckham looking like a thug should put anyone off :sorry: I work in a hospital and seeing saggy tattoos on older women especially is not a pretty sight! :eek:

England didnt shine today and Harry Kane has done zilch since Panama game

They need to work on their passing the ball in midfield
    Outplayed today by some very classy Belgians who i thought would win the world cup

However I still love Gareth Southgate, he is fab!

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    I want to wish French all the good luck for tomorrow, i hope they win the World cup for 2018.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,596
    I think France will win but I will root for the underdog Croatia as they are ranked something like 20th in the world and have done well to get to the final.

but I think France will triumph at the end of the final whistle

Great Tournament, Russia have done really well and some great football

Portugal V Spain on the 2nd day remains my fav game

I thought Spain or Belgium would win it, so what do i know!!

Heres to Gareth and his team and 2020 - bring it on!!!

we can dream and hope England can find a Gazza with a little bit of magic

• Like Like x 2
  14. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    Cheering for France today. Allez les bleus!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,991
    The final has it all. Own goal, penalty, huge goalkeeper blunder and many goals. Very entertaining!
    Plus the less entertaining part where 4 people rushed in on the pitch.
    But this match has it all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Yesss :dance:, I was so nervous to sit back and relax on the couch, which I regularly jumped up when France scored another goal. I am very happy that France won the World Cup again after 20 years.

Congratulations France :clap::clap::clap:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,551
    Congratulations France! :hats:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,596
    Well done France, felt for Croatia for that own goal in 1st half

and well done to Croatia for getting to the final and Modric for winning the golden ball and Kylian Mbappe for his Young Player Award
    Its hard to believe he is only 19, he is going to be around for a very long time.

Loved how the heavens opened at the end and only 1 umbrella at first for Putin lol

The Croatia PM wasted money getting her hair done for the day!!

Great World Cup, well done Russia x

• Agree Agree x 1