1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,451
    I'm surprised it won, I was sure Emmerdale had bagged this one.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,531
    [​IMG]

The final 2 matches in the second round of the contest are as follows:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The poll is now open for you to choose which soaps you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the next round. You may vote for a winner of one match or for both matches.

Stating the reasons for your choices is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in their decisions. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner of each match if you prefer.

The poll will close at midday on Tuesday 12th November 2019.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    1. General Hospital, I’ve never seen either but I know more about this one
    2. Home & Away, as it had half the cast of S&D on it - even though clearly and massively Knots Landing is going to romp this round home

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 11
  4. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +14,228
    Match 7- General Hospital
    Match 8- Knots Landing

• Like Like x 12
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,518
    Match 7: General Hospital: It was the first daytime US soap that managed to cross into mainstream pop culture, thanks to a shift from staid melodrama into plots that took characters out of the studio and into territory usually reserved for action/adventure series. A mix of supercouples, sci-fi/fantasy plot elements and larger budgets made GH the soap to watch (and copy) throughout the 1980s. Different production teams had different priorities in the 1990s and onward, but the days of GH being centered around an actual hospital have, for the most part, ended. GH today balances between the extended Corinthos family (headed by mob boss Sonny and his shrieking harpy of a wife, Carly); the Cassadines (old-world Russian aristocracy), and the Quartermaines (a bickering clan of doctors and businessmen who have led Port Charles society for generations). The wedding of Luke and Laura Spencer in 1981 still stands as the highest-rated soap episode in US history--even Liz Taylor showed up as a guest star. Laura Spencer (now Collins) is currently reigning supreme as the mayor of Port Charles, offering a bit of continuity when soaps have so little of that nowadays.

Match 8: Knots Landing all the way, baby!

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,507
    Match 7: General Hospital

Match 8: Knots Landing

• Like Like x 10
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,085
    1. Savannah, I'll never forget the day when I had to move heaven and earth to watch one of the episodes (long story).
    2. Knots Landing, because NuAlexis was in it.

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. That Bowie Girl

That Bowie Girl Soap Chat Rebel EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,310
    Match 7
    General Hospital ~ I have seen this show on and off but never really watched it.
    Savannah I would love to see.

Match 8
    Knots Landing
    Just in time to vote for my favorite :dance:

• Like Like x 12
  9. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,843
    Match Seven

Savannah is a series I watched (the first season, at least) and loved. It felt closer to the classic Eighties soaps than, say Melrose Place or Central Park West. It had a great cast and some snappy lines (in an early episode, Peyton told her mother to pull out the nails, climb down from that cross and have a nice cup of tea. Or was it coffee?). Peyton herself was a cracking character.

I’ve never watched General Hospital and know very little about it other than Emma Samms was in it before The Colbys. I don’t really plan to watch it, either. But that history is very impressive. And @Daniel Avery's comments have won me over.

And so (to my surprise) my winner is…
    General Hospital

Match Eight

Oh - this takes me back to 1989, the year when Home And Away began here and Season Six of Knots was airing. Classic episodes all, and I was intensely hooked on both. If I'd been asked to choose a favourite then, I would have found it very difficult as they both met different needs.

Early H&A is just fantastic. Like General Hospital, the series scores on the longevity front, coming up to 32 years old of continuous airing with many memorable characters residing in Summer Bay over that time.

But Knots is just too special.

So (to no-one’s surprise) my winner is…
    Knots Landing

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Match 7) GENERAL HOSPITAL - I've never seen either show but I like the idea of a hospital setting so, GH gets my vote.

Match 8) HOME AND AWAY -I'm voting H&A for its earlier, vintage years when I was an avid viewer rather than the present incarnation of this show. In contrast I've only ever seen bits and pieces of KL.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
  11. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    I'm going to go for:

Match One: General Hospital as I've seen it in the States, never seen Savannah.
    Match Two: Knots Landing (Dallas' sister so it's a given) plus it's far better. Home and Away started off good then deteriorated...badly.

• Like Like x 10
  12. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,503
    1. Savannah
    2. Knots Landing

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,410
    Here are the results of the BF jury.

1. Tossed a coin, heads won, so General Hospital. Never seen it but was in a lot of 80s msgs i bought ft Dallas and you always saw them at supermarket tills in USA.

2. Momma bought Beloved Gary a house there, so KL wins round 2 altho i never got into it and gave up when Sid died.

• Like Like x 10
  14. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,531
    Due to the forum being offline for a while, I am extending the poll until Tuesday 19th November to give everyone who wants to participate the chance to vote. The contest is between the following soap operas:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,451
    I thought I had already voted - it must have been a dream.

Match 7 - Savannah
    Match 8 - Knots Landing

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    GenHosp and Knots for me.

• Like Like x 10
  17. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,531
    Match 7
    I really like Savannah and was easily the best 1990s attempt to revive the prime time soap genre that was so popular in the 1980s. I watched every episode when it was screened on Friday nights on ITV in the UK and loved it. By contrast, I've never seen a single episode of General Hospital so logic would suggest my support would be for Savannah. However, when I was setting up this World Cup I had to do some background research on all the qualifying soap operas to write descriptions for them and the more I read about General Hospital the more I was impressed by it. It is currently the oldest soap opera on American TV, having run for over half a century and 14,000 episodes and won more Emmy for Outstanding Daytime Drama than any other soap opera so it must be doing something right. In the history of soap operas, General Hospital is the more significant show so my vote goes to General Hospital.

Match 8
    I've had no desire to watch Home and Away and watched every episode of Knots Landing. Knots Landing, maintained a consistently high level for a long time and although the last few seasons were the weakest, it never fell to the depths that Dallas, Dynasty and Falcon Crest did towards the ends of their run. Also, the storyline concerning the birth, kidnap and recovery of Val's babies was one of the most memorable in any of the prime time soaps. My vote goes to Knots Landing.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
  18. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Match 7 - this one is an easy match for me. For whatever reason, General Hospital has never held much allure for me. I've watched bits online and I particularly like Elizabeth Taylor's brief guest arc but the show just never grabbed me in the same way as other daytime soaps like Sunset Beach, Santa Barbara, Y&R and Capitol have. Savannah on the other hand was a show that I loved. It was a mid-90's soap with an 80's soap vibe. I rewatched season one a few years ago and it still stands up and feels slicker and sharper than the standard Aaron Spelling fare of the time (he was churning out sh*te like University Hospital and Pacific Palisades in the same era as this). The second season isn't great but overall, it was a fun show while it lasted. So while Savannah wins this match, here's some Elizabeth Taylor wonderfulness from her stint on GH.

Match 8 - I loved Home and Away but I love Knots Landing. H&A was great during it's 90's heyday and pumped out many Aussie soap icons but it's held little attraction for me for a long time now. Knots on the other hand is a timeless classic which I think was underappreciated in it's time but in hindsight was the strongest of the 80's soaps in terms of characters, writing and longevity.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,843
    I'm feeling sad about Home And Away's inevitable exit from the World Cup.

A couple of nights ago I rewatched the Pilot and it was a profound - almost religious - experience, moving me to tears by the time it ended. Now I'm going to be diving into the first two series and hoping the third is available by the time I reach that point.

It hasn't got a chance of winning against Knots (probably rightly so, all told). But I need to show it a little love here.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Just out of interest @Mel O'Drama, where did you purchase the first two series from?

I've had a look on Amazon but can only find a romances themed DVD and also a marriages themed DVD which I already own.