1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,480
    3 - Knots Landing but should i make a tactical vote and vote for the opposition as id hate KL to trounce Dallas in the final :eck:)

4. Dallas - no contest (but not TNT version)

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,895

Oh goodness. Donna Culver was right when she said that line to JR, even though she was a decade or so premature.

We both know it could have been worse. ;)

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,160
    Match 3
    Dynasty was my first soap love, at that time I though it was everything. I'm also a big fan of the "wealthy clan" stories.
    And because the World Cup is a game and not a matter of life and death, I'm going to vote for my precious, beloved DYNASTY.
    upload_2019-11-27_18-27-26.png

Match 4
    I vote for NEIGHBOURS because actor Ian Rawlings was in it.
    upload_2019-11-27_18-40-58.png

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,123
    Oh it could have. Let's not go there. Ever again. @Mel O'Drama

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,592
    • Funny Funny x 5
  6. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Match 3 - Dynasty - Joan Collins turned this show into a symbol for the decade of the eighties and so Dienasty as the Americans say is the one here for me.
    Match 4 - Dallas - Without JR and company we probably wouldn't have the other three supersoaps, even though Knots was conceived before the Southfork Ewings but then was revamped, to appear a year later.

• Like Like x 11
  7. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Lol I let pictures speak 1000 words @Angela Channing Woman’s Day was better than Titbits though, I have to say ;-) Thank you very much @That Bowie Girl . I have over 800 full covers of Victoria Principal alone and still missing thousands. And there’s some amazing members on here who have the most magnificent WOW magazine collections aswell with covers I don’t even know about and I can dream of. It’s nice to share them (and they are great to cast these votes with haha)

• Like Like x 3
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  8. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +14,337
    Match 3- Knots Landing
    Match 4- Dallas

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,522
    Match 3: Dynasty

Match 4: Dallas

• Like Like x 7
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,543
    Match 3: Knots Landing

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,160
    I wonder how the many, many Dynasty fans feel about this situation. Maybe I should ask them…[/bats eyelashes]

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Match 3) DYNASTY - because it is one of only two prime time American soap operas (the other one being Dallas) which I have seen properly.

Match 4) NEIGHBOURS- I'm voting Neighbours for the good old days of Mrs Mangel, Scott & Charlene, Madge & Harrold, Jane & Mike, Des & Daphne, Helen Daniels & Jim Robinson etc as distinct from the current version of this show.

• Like Like x 11
  13. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,407
    Yet.

Match 3: Knots Landing

• Like Like x 9
  14. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,241
    Quarter Final Game 3 - DYNASTY: The prominent opponent to DALLAS and while KNOTS LANDING was miles ahead in terms of writing along with character focused stories it was Alexis; all her men, the four Carrington offspring, Blake and Krystle who collectively toppled the Texas show off N.o. 1 spot, for the 1984 - '85 season. A lot of caviar and champagne flown in of course, for the occasion.

Quarter Final Game 4 - DALLAS: How do you rock the world? You have a 'Who Done It?' In the autumn of 1980 there were 350 million T.V. viewers across the globe; who watched the episode revealing Mary Crosby's character Kristin to be the culprit behind the trigger, on the man everyone loved to hate John Ross Ewing II (J.R.). During the summer break between seasons the bookmakers had field days with bets taken and Larry Hagman (Rest In Peace) doing publicity like never before. Ken Kercheval (Rest In Peace) once remarked that the Ewings and the Barnes were like the Hatfields and McCoys of Texas.

The Dallas Symphony Orchestra plays the infamous theme tune, commencing at 3:57 into the video:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Match 3 - this match is my Sophie's Choice. I love Knots Landing. It's arguably the better written of all the 80's soaps and Val's babies is probably my favourite soap storyline ever. But Dynasty is getting my vote in this round as it's my first proper love when it came to primetime soaps. I was mildly obsessed with Dallas and was familiar with Knots back in the day but when I discovered Dynasty in reruns, I fell in love. It's such a divisive show. Parts of it defined the primetime soap genre and still influences the soaps today (the classic cliffhangers, the pinnacle of the vengeful ex wife trope, the catfights) and parts of it are what gave soap such a bad name (alien abductions, head swapping). It really ran the full gamut of every soap storyline and this mixed with good casting and high fashion, made it a pop culture phenomenon, which gives it the edge of the better produced but less well remembered Knots. Season one was sublime, late-70's British miniseries vibes in terms of excellent writing and consequential plotting. Season two is still excellent soap opera. Seasons three thru six are gradually less excellent but the soap bubbles are still bubbling nicely, if a bit inanely at times. The less said the better about season seven and eight and then we've the revived hope of season nine. It's the one long running US primetime soap that remained definitively 80's, in that it began and ended within the confines of that decade and didn't deviate too far from the high fashion, high drama, high camp modus operandi that it's best remembered for today. Here's some of it's greatest hits to chart the sometimes barmy trajectory of the show.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Match 4 - I enjoyed Neighbours in the past but Dallas, while not without it's faults, beats it hands down here. I love Dallas for many reasons but it is the one woman wrecking ball that is Sue Ellen Ewing that I love the most. I've wheeled out this description of her from a Sabotage Times article in other World Cups and I feel it's time it got an airing again.

"Sue Ellen doesn't just argue, she throws bottles, she gets arrested, she punches JR in the face, she wears backless, black sequinned trouser suits whilst punching JR in the face and she has affairs with cowboys who lose their willies in rodeo accidents, or something. All this, and she's really good looking. Sue Ellen is fallible. Gets committed? Sure she does. Pregnant and hammered in the driving seat? Tick. Last 12 hours a blank? Think you might have shot your husband? Sue Ellen makes us all feel ok about being human. So, for all the girls out there who feel under-represented by the current crop of cultural icons, for all the ladies who have woken up in an alley and got shitfaced with a bag lady, let us remember Sue Ellen Ewing".

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,592
    That's an impressive collection of photographs to illustrate your vote. :clap:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,592
    [​IMG]

Neighbour's Scott and Charlene are correct, the poll does close at midday on Tuesday so get your vote in before then. You are choosing your winner between Dynasty and Knots Landing and between Neighbours and Dallas.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,523
    1. I love both shows so this is really tough. :(
    But I've recently rewatched Knots Landing and I've met more of the cast from that show too so it's getting my vote.

2. Dallas
    It's my favorite show so...

• Like Like x 7
  19. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,592
    The poll has now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. The results of the final 2 quarter final matches in the World Cup of Soap Operas are as follows:

Match 3
    Dynasty: 7
    Knots Landing: 10

Match 4
    Neighbours: 3
    Dallas: 14

The 2 shows going through to the quarter finals are confirmed as being Knots Landing and Dallas.

[​IMG]

Thank you to everyone who voted in these matches. Details of the semi-final matches will be posted tomorrow.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,592
    So we off the TVs showing Dynasty and Neighbours and the players board is updated to show the 4 semi-finalists.

[​IMG]

Both semi-final matches will be played this week. They will be between Coronation Street, Dallas, Knots Landing and Peyton Place, but what will be up against what? Full details tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1