1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,052
    [​IMG]

Unbelievably, this World Cup tournament started 5 months ago with the first qualification round and we've now reached the final match. For those of you who have participated regularly, I congratulate you on your stamina.

The final of the World Cup of Soap Operas is between Dallas and Peyton Place:

[​IMG]

The poll is now open for you to choose which soaps you would like to win the World Cup of Soap Operas.
    Stating the reasons for your choice is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in their decision. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner by posting the name of the show on this thread.

If you would like to add some mystery to the final result, you may vote by secret ballot by sending your choice of winner to me directly and I will reveal how you voted after the poll has closed.

The poll will close at midday on Tuesday 17th December 2019.

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,052
    Most of my favourite soap operas were knocked out early (Falcon Crest and Crossroads) or failed to qualify (A Country Practice) but I still happy with soapchatters choice of finalists as both shows were giants of the genre.

I could easily make a case for either show to win and even though Dallas is my favourite show of all time, my vote goes to Peyton Place. Dallas at its best was untouchable but this isn't about the best years of a show but the entirety of a show's run and as much as I loved Dallas the last 4 seasons were pretty bad. Inflicting the likes of Laurel Ellis, Jory Taylor, James Beaumont and Cally Ewing on viewers was unforgiveable. When you add TNT Dallas into consideration too and how for me it tarnished my affection for the Dallas brand by not just being awful but also by turning much loved characters into bad imitations of who they were originally. Peyton Place on the other hand as a first rate show right up until the end.

My other main criticism of Dallas was how little racial diversity it had. All the other main prime time soaps had black, Asian or Hispanic characters in major roles whereas Dallas was whiter than a commercial for Daz washing powder. When black characters appeared they were always in minor, often subservient roles (yes, I talking about about the caterers Sam and Tilly who were like supporting characters from Gone With The Wind, but also Raul, Theresa and to some extent, Dora Mae). Contrast this with Peyton Place which although was on air more than a decade before Dallas, it featured a black family in major roles, one of whom was a neurosurgeon.

Peyton Place was before my time but it was such a significant show that I was always aware of its existence. It was ground breaking and was the first prime time soap opera to achieve great success which paved the way for soaps like Dallas to succeed a decade later. Watching it today, the quality of the acting and writing really noticeable and although it is very much of its era, it still stands up well as a gripping soap opera. So the continuing story of Peyton Place gets my vote.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,122
    8F7591C2-A760-4ED8-AD9C-393460F81A8E.jpeg EEB60F6B-F4FB-416D-95EF-01F81F6EA45D.jpeg I’m voting for the show that, I would say, gave us 8-9 years of such hugely entertaining television. And here to celebrate three of my very favourites on the show, is by far and away Dallas’ most covered cover (only a small sample is pictured here of what is out there, bearing in mind there are many more that I haven’t got Yet). With what must also be, other than a royal wedding, right up there as one of the most globally covered covers of the 80s. From Yugoslavia to Chile, from Australia to Israel, Dallas was the most watched show in the world...

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 5
  4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,148

My Vote goes to ..................................Dallas (original version only)

When I used to hear the theme tune start it made me tingle, and I didnt think i would still be addicted 40 plus years later, which means im no longer at school!! Where did the time go??

great competition @Angela's Mulled Wine xxxx

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +769
    @Angela's Mulled Wine How do I send my choice of winner directly to you?

I cannot find a private message option on the forum

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,181
    My vote is for Dallas.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    The Big D I.e Dallas to win.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,144
    I like DALLAS, I love PEYTON PLACE. But I also love New DALLAS because it added a (extra) meaningfulness to the original show, combined with a FALCON CREST-style wickedness.
    I also have a fascination for everything 1970s, and DALLAS had that too.

But PEYTON PLACE has been such an extraordinary experience from start to finish, and in some ways it feels more scandalous than DALLAS - although I also enjoyed the scenes when "nothing particular" was going on.
    It's a place I like to be: the setting, the characters, the dialogues, the atmosphere - I guess the best way to describe it is "mesmerizing".

I don't regret the fact that I've never experienced the DALLAS phenomenon during its heyday but I do envy the people who were watching PEYTON PLACE in the 1960s.

So, it's going to be Dr. Rossi & The Gang for me.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,776

Click on Angela's name or avatar and a box will appear. In that box will be a link 'start a conversation' - click on that link and you should be okay.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,052
    @Ome for Christmas has explained how you can do this in the post directly before this one. I've also sent you a private message that you can reply to to record your vote.

Thanks for being part of the World Cup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 14 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +769
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,776
    My vote goes to Dallas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,919
    My vote goes to Dallas, as well. Well, in a pouting, petty kind of way...:re:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They had better secondary characters. :laughing:

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,144
    Then why not a revenge vote for Peyton Place?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,844
    I love the big D. The cliffhangers ("She's dead! You bastard!"), the put downs, Sue Ellen Ewing, the barmy dream season twist, the fact that it gave us Knots Landing, Sue Ellen Ewing. When it was good it was great. And when it was bad, it could be awful. But no other show up until that point had been such a pop culture phenomenon that gripped the world, made news headlines and is even loosely attributed with aiding the fall of Communism in Romania. Without Dallas, we'd have had none of the rest. No Dynasty. No Falcon Crest. No The Colbys. It was the trailblazer in the glamour soap genre.

However, despite having seen less of it, I'm giving my vote to Peyton Place in this match. It wasn't the first primetime soap (Faraway Hill, Hawkins Falls and One Man's Family are among those that got there before it) but it was the first super successful primetime soap. And while it didn't launch a raft of competitors like Dallas did (only Our Private World and Harold Robbins' The Survivors had short runs around the same period), I think Peyton Place is a more interesting world. The one family format only has so much mileage and Dallas was running on empty in the last few years. Peyton Place is a box of delights with characters from all walks of life interweaving their stories. And while Dallas is responsible for the 80's soap surge, Peyton Place is the template that led to Knots, Melrose Place and Desperate Housewives. So for creating a more enticing world of multiple families and for the longevity of it's influence, Peyton Place pips Dallas on this one.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  16. That Bowie Girl

That Bowie Girl Soap Chat Rebel EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,411
    This was a tough decision for me. I love the beginnings of Peyton Place and what I have seen so far. The small town feel of it is exactly how it is in a small town which I grew up in. Then I came on and had a look at the forum. Dallas is still so relevant with over 32,000 posts on the forum alone way more than any other soap on this site.

and then I read this..............sorry @Carrie Fairchild but this helped me make up my mind...........:wave:

If it weren't for Dallas we wouldn't have Knots Landing!

I also loved the brilliant cast and I find watching Knots that now I want to see this show again before I even return to Peyton Place.

My vote goes for..............DALLAS

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 6
  17. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,144
    What??:yikey:
    I think we should discuss this first before you make any hasty decisions :cool1

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. That Bowie Girl

That Bowie Girl Soap Chat Rebel EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,411
    Do you think you can change my mind? I would love to hear what you have to say. :hats:

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,352
    The Final Game: The one the only daddy of them all DALLAS, even though I have a lot of admiration for PEYTON PLACE.

Victoria Principal is napping in Los Angeles. Patrick Duffy knocks on her door, (a scene from the retrospective reunion 'Return To Southfork'; in 2004, DVD - 4, DVD - The Movie Collection):

Patrick: "Victoria......Victoria!!"

Victoria: "Oh Patrick!"

Patrick: "Victoria the charity people are waiting downstairs. You're gonna be late, for the lunch."

Victoria: "I fell asleep but listen I had the most vivid dream. I dreamed the entire cast of DALLAS was at Southfork, for a really big reunion and it was so real!"

Patrick: "Not again!"

Victoria winks and smiles at the cameraman. The end. The theme music commences and the credits appear.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,919
    That's not entirely true. David Jacobs wrote the pilot for Knots Landing first, and though it got the attention of the CBS executives, they asked for something more saga-like, so he came up with Dallas. When Dallas became a success the network asked for a spin-off and he simply retooled the KL script with a Dallas couple included in the four couples concept. So arguments could be made that a) we would not have Dallas without Knots Landing having been there first (to get DJ's foot in the door), and b) Knots Landing would not have been the same without the Dallas tie-in (Gary and Val). So maybe we should say both shows helped one another come into being.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1