World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +778
    My pick, for what it’s not worth since FC is the only one out of the 4 contenders this week that I’ve actually watched, a mere 2.5 times in 3 countries.

Match 5 – Having watched neither show, I pick General Hospital only because it once had Stuart Damon in it. I first knew him from The Champions (‘60s British TV series), which caught and held my attention as a child in part because the Jet d’Eau was in the credits. If nothing else, I just had to watch the credits. I remember little me wishing – though I don’t recall it being a longing – that I could be there at that fountain in that far-off land. I have a love of watching water fall. Never ever imagining that one day that child’s wish would become a reality: I got to see it when the Swiss government paid all my expenses for a week for a project. When I saw the Jet d’Eau, I knew that it just had to be the (then still undecided) ‘face’ of the project. And, so it was so: an aerial view of it.

Match 6 – Falcon Crest, of course. My all-round favourite soapie. Bonus: it had David Selby in it, whose work I followed off and on until circa 2011, shuffling between small screen, stage and film and some poetry. (Gosh, have just realised Stuart and Dave share the same month and day of birth: February 5th.)

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Medals:
    Match 5 - General Hospital, because I've heard of it.
    Match 6 - Falcon Crest, one of the classic 80s soaps which at its best it rivaled the Ds . . . and I've heard of it.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,942
    Medals:
    Game 5 - TAKE THE HIGH ROAD

Game 6 - FALCON CREST

Angela and Jacqueline each exchange a few home truths. Each rival thinks they have the upper hand. However it is Jacqueline who departs the valley, for now. Angela appears from the living room of the mansion and looks at Chao-Li, standing in the hallway, (a scene from season 2, 1982 - '83):

"Chao-Li I want you to chill our finest bottle of Chardonnay. It's time we celebrate!"

Chao-Li smiles, as he goes to fetch the wine.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,297
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

Do what Angela Channing is doing, not battling for Falcon Crest but voting for the soap opera you want to go through to the next round by midday Tuesday when the poll closes. The matches are between Take The High Road and General Hospital and between Falcon Crest and Chateauvallon.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,448
    Medals:
    It's very possible that Nicole Sausage would have renamed the infamous winery "Chateauvallon".

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,297
    Medals:
    The poll has now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. The results of the last week's 2 matches in the World Cup of Soap Operas is as follows:

Match 5:
    Take The High Road: 7
    General Hospital: 10

Match 6:
    Falcon Crest: 15
    Chateauvallon: 1

I declare the winners of matches 5 and 6 to be General Hospital and Falcon Crest.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,297
    Medals:
    So we reach for the remote control and switch off Take The High Road (later known as High Road) and Chateauvallon.

[​IMG]

Details of the next 2 matches will be posted tomorrow and will involve 2 American and 2 Australian soap operas.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,297
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

The next 2 matches in the contest were drawn as follows:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The poll is now open for you to choose which soaps you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the next round. You may vote for a winner of either match or for both matches.

Stating the reasons for your choices is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in making their decisions. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner of each match if you prefer.

The poll will close at midday on Tuesday 17th September 2019.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,093
    Medals:
    Match Seven
    CPW was great in the beginning. Nice locations and good energy. And a terrific theme tune. But it all became rather forgettable.

Peyton Place is the original prime time US soap. Heartfelt. Rich. Beautifully shot and scored.

This is the easy part...
    Peyton Place

Match Eight
    Oh nightmare.

I love both series. Both have cult status and I have fond childhood memories of RTE.

96 was less glossy and is less well known. But it's more confident with bold storylines and interesting characters. The middle years are as close to 70s Corrie as any other soap has (to my knowledge) ever got. And it's damned funny!

Difficult choice, but it's....
    Number 96

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  10. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,613
    Medals:
    R7 - Peyton Place as I remember my mum used to talk about it when i was little and she liked it

R8 - not au fair with either of them - so I tossed a coin and return to eden won as it was tails

• Like Like x 9
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,448
    Medals:
    Match 7

Short-lived as it was, CPW was my favourite soap of the 90s. In many ways, it was more "NuDynasty" than CWDynasty's ever going to be.
    But I had developed a fondness for PP before I had even seen a single episode, and then it also managed to exceed those high expectations.
    I hate to vote against the 90s soap, but it's no contest, really. I vote for PEYTON PLACE
    [​IMG]

Match 8

I can imagine the potboiler mini-series having some kind of cult status, but with the sequel series they merely tried to create an American Soap In Australia.
    A miscalculation imho, because without that quintessential Australian "vibe" it didn't have that much to offer. It was nice enough, but nothing special.
    The competition (in this match anyway) had lots of interesting characters, it was totally bonkers and I just had never seen anything like this before.
    I vote for NUMBER 96

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 11
  12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,297
    Medals:
    Match 7 - Peyton Place - This series is one of the most significant in the history of TV broadcast history in that it invented the prime time soap opera and became a model for those that came afterwards. I've only watched a few episodes and I could tell that the production was beautifully filmed and scored, the characters well formed and the writing is first class. My mother used to watch this show and often used to compare it with Dallas and Falcon Crest when we both watched those shows together which is high enough praise for me to chose Peyton Place as my winner.

Match 8 - Return To Eden - When this series was screened in the 1980s is was a phenomenon. It was more over the top and camp than Dynasty but with a more drama and intrigue. It was gripping TV and ended with one of the great cliffhangers of all the prime time soap operas of that era. Quite simply a brilliantly entertaining show and one of the best to come out of Australia.

• Like Like x 10
  13. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Medals:
    Match # 7 - Peyton Place (U.S.A's pioneering soap opera of prime time)
    Match # 8 - Return To Eden (Australia's equivalent to Dynasty)

• Like Like x 8
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  14. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    Medals:
    Never seen Payton Place, never heard of Number 96, so the decision was easy...

Match 7: Central Park West
    Match 8: Return to Eden

• Like Like x 10
  15. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,543
    Medals:
    Match 7- Payton Place
    Match 8- Return to Eden

• Like Like x 8
  16. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    1. Payton Place
    2. Return to Eden - this show, though short lived, was my absolute personal favourite tv show of all time. Rebecca Gilling was so good and so beautiful in this. Peta Toppano made such a glam villain. Warren Blondell is a god of handsomeness. It was so fast paced, you couldn’t miss an episode. It broke record ratings in Australlia, it’s been shown on French tv 11 times, it was a massive hit in NZ, Poland, Yugoslavia and Indonesia. I can recite the script of the mini series (should I admit that?). While I would have loved a second series I do wonder what’s they could have done that would have been better than the first series? It was at the time the most expensive show ever made in Australia. It was camp, great lines, original (and outlandish) storyline’s. It was 11 out of 10 for me. LOVED IT

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  17. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,297
    Medals:
    The Return To Eden cliffhanger ending was brilliant, as good as anything seen in Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty or any of the other US prime time soap operas.

Jilly tries to shoot Stephanie but it's Jake that gets shot dead while he attempted to take the gun from her and Stephanie is splattered with his blood. Thinking quickly, Jilly thrusts the gun in Stephanie's hand who is in shock and staggers out on to the top of the stairs and everyone at the party below sees her thinking she was the one who shot Jake.

I always thought that was then end and only recently realised that after the series was cancelled they filmed additional scenes to wrap up the series and resolve the cliffhanger. I've not yet watched it so I still don't know who gets blamed for Jake's killing and if Jilly finally gets her comeuppance. I'm saving it for when I eventually rewatch the entire series.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    Match 7 - I understand the love for Peyton Place. It was the first successful soap in primetime which set the mould for every primetime saga that's come since. I hear nothing but praise for it and I do hope someday to do the full Peyton Place experience - novel, film and TV series. However, Central Park West is one of my favourite soaps ever. I've spoken at length on here about how I think the first thirteen episodes are almost perfect soap opera. Sharp writing, memorable characters, amazing location shooting, chic fashion and a hot soundtrack. The second batch of post revamp episodes aren't great but they have their plusses like increased screen time for Lauren Hutton. I love this show so Central Park West was always going to get my vote in this match.

Match 8 - like Peyton Place, I've heard great things about Number 96 but I've never seen a single episode. I have seen Return To Eden. I loved the miniseries in all it's campy glory. I struggled with the TV series as it felt it had overdosed on camp but I may revisit it at some point. But my love for the miniseries remains, so it's Return To Eden for this match, the below scene being one of the many reasons I love it.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +567
    Medals:
    Match 7) Peyton Place - I've chosen Peyton Place simply because I have never heard of Central Park West and also for it being one of tv's earliest soap operas.

Match 8) Number 96 - I own and have watched all the episodes that have been released to DVD, unlike Return to Eden which I have never seen.

It's my third favourite Australian drama serial after The Young Doctors and Prisoner even though its production values are very much of their time.

It's very addictive viewing and it's not difficult to see why it was the highest rating show on Australian television back in the day and credited with saving the 10 network from bankruptcy.

It's a good mix of drama and comedy and in that sense, as @Mel O'Drama rightly says, is very much like 1970s Corrie. In fact, I could imagine a lot of the characters of number 96 slipping right into the confines of that show.

So many wonderful characters including the busy body, interfering Dorrie Evans (similar to Hilda Ogden in Corrie), Lucy and Alf Sutcliffe (similar to Rita and Len Fairclough on Corrie), Vera Collins (similar to Elsie Tanner on Corrie) the Whittakers and then the glorious "Mummy" and "Daddy" McDonald characters (my own personal favourites).

Watching the DVD releases of Number 96, whilst it has its young sex symbols and starlets it is these older characters who make the show for me and hold my interest rather than the nubile, 20 something characters.

The show is also ground breaking for writing bold stories and tackling issues and having sympathetically written gay characters in it a decade before Eastenders did the same thing on British television.

Also noteworthy for its cracking and catchy signature tune.

So, it's Number 96 that gets my vote.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. JamesF

JamesF Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Carrie Fairchild sums up my thoughts very eloquently on this one!

Match 7
    Peyton Place is on my long term watch list after all the praise it's been given on here. Ironically even though it's a shorter run than Sons and Daughters which I devoured, I'm almost intimidated to start. I feel like it will require a little more brain power and need to make sure I'm in the right zone. Cold winter nights might help...

My vote goes to Central Park West and not just be default. I agree that it's a really witty, well shot and well written series for the first batch of episodes. The characters (bar Nikki) were very distinct; far more than equivalent Melrose Place of the same era. The follow up eps were more generic but Lauren Hutton loosened up some and got to have more fun with the character.

Match 8
    This is slightly tougher. Even though I've only seen clips of Number 96, I struggle with Return to Eden. I adore the miniseries and return to it every few years - I remain disappointed that the reboot a few years back never materialised. However I couldn't stand the follow up series - it should have appealed to me but for all the camp excess, so much of it was dull. Drippy, poorly acted characters fawning over each other.

On balance though I do have some love in the Return to Eden space so it gets my vote!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)