World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Discussion in 'World Cup of Soaps' started by Angela Channing, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,744
    Medals:
    [​IMG]
    "Why wasn't I told?"

I think you'll enjoy it, James. But I'm sure it'll be an interesting watch either way.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,360
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

The next 2 matches in the contest were drawn as follows:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The poll is now open for you to choose which soaps you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the next round. You may vote for a winner of either match or for both matches.

Stating the reasons for your choices is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in their decisions. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner of each match if you prefer.

The poll will close at midday on Tuesday24th September 2019.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,745
    Medals:
    Match 9 - POBOL Y CWM, because it's a funny title.

Match 10 - SAVANNAH, I've never seen Eldorado and apparently it wasn't so great.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,430
    Medals:
    M9: Brookside
    M10: Savannah

• Like Like x 8
  5. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,292
    Medals:
    my vote

9 Brookside -- never got it as we didnt get a signal for C4 for years but my liverpool friend loved it and her claim to fame was "she danced with Billy Corkhill a a wedding" It was her reply to I kissed Bobby ewing on Aug 26th @2.35pm

10 - Savannah - simply because i was very cheesed off when they stopped Terry Wogans chat show to make way for Eldorado.
    Ive never seen savannah bu gets my vote for that reason

Terry meant Dallas and guests!

• Like Like x 8
  6. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,053
    1. Brookside
    2. Savannah

Never seen any so I’ll go with the status quo this time round ;-)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,744
    Medals:
    Match Nine
    Brookside - Eighties Brookside at least - is by far the better series. Groundbreaking. Shocking. Heartbreaking. And it deserves the win it will inevitably get at the end of this round.

However, Pobol Y Cwm has had an impressively long continuous run and remained true to itself. And it's the only Welsh language soap represented here. And it gave the world Ioan Gruffudd. Those reasons balance things out, and the deciding factor is that my calon fach Gymraeg wouldn't feel right about letting Cwmderi go down without a bit of a fight.

Mae fy mhleidlais yn mynd i...
    Pobol Y Cwm

Match Ten
    (A tale of two Bunnies)

Both entertaining series in their own way. But one was a little more entertaining than the other.

And that's...
    Savannah

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  8. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,650
    Medals:
    Match Nine

I suspect Brookside's gonna prove problematic for me at some point in the proceedings. I don't think any series has had such a powerful effect on me as Brookie did in the '80s and no series has disappointed me as much it did subsequently. But as I've never seen Pobol Y Cwm (as opposed to plain Pob, which was lovely), this time it's easy. BROOKSIDE it is.

To celebrate, here are Sheila and Noreen Kershaw on their way home from a rare night out when they get approached by Zach Dingle from Emmerdale and Ron Brownlow from Crossroads.

Match Ten

Dim memories of both series, but fonder ones of SAVANNAH, which if I recall correctly, was the '90s US primetime soap that came nearest to the spirit of the '80s ones. And Gary Ewing was in it!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    Medals:
    Match 9: I have no real background or history with either one, but I know @Mel O'Drama would not steer me wrong, so Pobol Y Cwm gets my vote.

Match 10: For a show set in my hometown, Savannah certainly did not make too much effort to be authentic. Mountains in the background??? Well, at least they tried.

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,360
    Medals:
    Match 9 - Pobol Y Cwm (People of The Valley) - I've always thought Brookside was the second best UK soap opera ever; it had fantastic characters, gripping storylines and was ground-breaking television in many ways. However, although I've never seen it, I've always been intrigued and fascinated by Pobol Y Cwm. This show is probably unique amongst British soap operas in that it is not in the English language and is made entirely in Welsh. It's one of the longest soap operas in British history and one of the longest running soaps still on air. First broadcast in 1974, only Coronation Street and Emmerdale have been on air for longer. During its run it consistently gets the highest ratings of all shows on the channel on which it is broadcast. For it's longevity, popularity and its importance in raising the profile of regional languages, I vote for Pobol Y Cwm.

Match 10 - Savannah - Although I watched it a few times, I never really got into Eldorado and based on what I saw I wasn't surprised that it was cancelled prematurely. Savannah was the best Prime Time soap broadcast after the heyday of the genre in the 1980s. Had it been launched 10 years earlier, I think it would have been fondly remembered as shows such as Dynasty and Knots Landing but by the time it first went on air, the appetite for prime time soap operas was over.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,948
    Medals:
    Match 9- Brookside
    Match 10- Savannah

• Like Like x 7
  12. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Medals:
    Match 9 - I've only ever seen snippets of Pobol Y Cwm, so it's never really been on my soapy radar. Brookside on the other hand is one of my UK faves, so it wins this match. I wasn't born / was too young to remember it in it's 80's heyday but there's enough of it online to witness it's gritty glory from that era. As one producer described it, it was like the "punk" version of soap opera compared to the rather staid and cosy worlds of early 80's Corrie and Emmerdale. My era was mid-90's Brookside. Barry Grant was still around, Jimmy Corkhill was the resident drug fiend, Casa Bevron, Sinbad and the Mobie, the Farnhams, Julia Brogan, the body under the patio. I could go on and on. It was such great drama and the writing was always natural and witty. The show got a lot of flak as the years wore on for being too sensationalist but all of the soaps are doing now what Brookie did back then. Which some may argue is not a good thing but Brookside really did blaze a trail. The last year or so was a mess as it pared down the cast and went grittier and swearier when it moved post-watershed but that shouldn't tarnish the memory of it's golden years.

Match 10 - I think I love the drama surrounding Eldorado more so than the drama in the show itself. Because the show itself was mostly bad. Very bad. It had some great characters like Trish, Joy, Marcus, Olive, Stanley & Rosemary and Gwen & Drew and the premise was great but the execution was atrocious. At least for the first 50 episodes or so. I would recommend that anyone interested in behind the scenes soap documentaries should watch Trouble At The Top - Fool's Gold which documents the shambles that was the production of the show. My choice for this match is Savannah. Much like my beloved Central Park West, it had an excellent first season before going off the boil when it returned for season two. I rewatched it a few years ago and season one is so good in terms of the writing and the plotting. It felt like it was at a much higher standard to the other Spelling fare of the time and had an edge and darkness to it that you just didn't see in his other soaps at the time. The cast were great and there were no weak links in the ensemble. The wheels fell off in the second season (IMO) as it lost it's edge and defaulted into daytime soap territory. The writing wasn't as good and the plotting began centering around a series of fortunate coincidences where characters just so happened to be standing in the right place at the right time in order to overhear or see things as opposed to actual original plot development. However the first season is still an example of well made soap and the theme tune is one of my favourites.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,650
    Medals:
    ... and Tracy Lawton and Leland Palmer!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,166
    Growing up, it was all about BLAKE’S 7, DOCTOR WHO, SKY, SAPPHIRE & STEEL, SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, TOMORROW PEOPLE and THE BIONIC WOMAN. I hated it when CROSSROADS, EMMERDALE FARM or CORONATION STREET because they always appeared boring and for the adults. Then I recall feeling even more frustrated when my mum & sister started watching a new soap BROOKSIDE, little did I know that I was going to become obsessed with the soap and ultimately fall in love with the genre altogether. From the moment Petra woke up to find her husband lying dead beside till the mid-90s I was hooked on all the comings and goings. While the 80s were the best times for BROOKIE, there was still some great stories and characters in the early 90s

Match 9 = Brookside

Match 10 = Eldorado

I was a latecomer to Eldorado so only caught the last 4/5 months before it went off the air and those final months were great fun.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,186
    Medals:
    Game 9 - Brookside: A flagship soap for Channel 4. Ratings went through the roof in the mid eighties, for a channel still in it's infancy. Memorable characters such as Shelia and Bobby Grant; Barry Grant, Jimmy Corkhill, 'Sinbad' Sweeney, Beth Jordache, Ron Dixon and the elderly Cross couple were created, during the Liverpool show's 21 year life. Gripping and quite often controversial storylines were shown. A much missed show, IMHO.

Game 10 - Eldorado: Sadly more like Desesperado and a chump like no other, for the BBC. I suppose the residents of Los Barcos got a year on T.V. However I do feel sorry for this show because the potential was there to have another feather in the cap, just as EastEnders is.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,360
    Medals:
    I had no idea they made a song out of the Brookie theme. I'm not sure it entirely works but fascinating to hear it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Medals:
    It was an odd mix alright. By the 80's, Dana was a prominent conservative religious singer (she later dipped her toe in televangelism) so her image wasn't really in line with the gritty goings on in the Close. Apparently (as per the YouTube comments section), it was the Brookie producers that blocked her from releasing the song as a single as it's lyrics didn't reflect the character of the show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,744
    Medals:
    This is news to me as well, and now I feel like a negligent soap fan. So thanks to @Jock Og for the education.

The video is even more mindblowing because it looks uncannily like Tara Welles karaoke-ing along to the closing credits of Brookie.

As the theme to Brookside I agree it doesn't work at all. It's too dreamy and syrupy. And so I think they were right to withdraw the song on that basis.

But I think it works as a song in its own right. I especially like the part just after 1:30 where the music swells, the strings come in and then it goes into the instrumental Brookside theme.

If it were possible to remove the association of that melody to the series (something I admittedly find quite impossible) the song itself has a sound that would be a good fit for musical theatre. And no -not Brookside: The Musical.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,186
    Medals:

Not at all Mel, as regards the education. The Brookie song is somewhat nicey nice, not that there is anything wrong with this. However I agree the lyrics don't fit the Brookside brand, nonetheless Dana's take is an interesting interpretation of such a classic theme tune. I'm not sure if Jimmy Corkhill would have been impressed with how she presented herself, dress wise. Jim (alright then) liked his women rough and ready.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,360
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

The folks from Brookside are correct. The poll does indeed close tomorrow (Tuesday) at midday. Vote for your choice of winners between Brookside and Pobol Y Cwn and between Savannah and Eldorado before it's too late.

• Funny Funny x 2