World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soaps - Week 8

Discussion in 'Notable TV' started by Angela Channing, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,297
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

The final 2 matches in the first round of the contest were drawn as follows:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The poll is now open for you to choose which soaps you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the next round. You may vote for a winner of either match or for both matches.

Stating the reasons for your choices is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in their decisions. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner of each match if you prefer.

The poll will close at midday on Tuesday 15th October 2019.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,543
    Medals:
    Match 15- Melrose Place
    Match 16- Dallas

• Like Like x 9
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,093
    Medals:
    Match Fifteen
    Desperate Housewives peaked in its magnificently soapy first season and then carried on being watchable for the rest of its run. It never had the lows of Melrose Place, but then it never had anything as gloriously soapy as Melrose's Second and Third seasons. So, on the basis that it feels more of a true soap...

I vote...
    Melrose Place

Match Sixteen
    Dallas was generally a more quality series. But The Young Doctors was my introduction to the wonderful Cornelia Frances (a role I still consider her most iconic). Plus TYD reminds me of getting home from school. And it had a proper ending! And it's clearly the underdog...

My vote goes to...
    The Young Doctors

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,448
    Medals:
    Match 15
    Desperate Housewives. So many wicked characters and amazing cliffhangers, I found it extremely addictive. It was not a perfect show, absolutely not, but some of the dark comedy worked for me. The only thing I really don't like is the title, it's too inherently satirical and besides that none of them actually looked like a desperate housewife.
    "City On Fire" was a cracking episode, and the hurricane and the plane crash and the supermarket hostage episode, etc etc.
    I have yet to see the first 4 seasons of MP (the best of, according to fans) but I'm not really in a hurry.

Match 16
    I've never seen The Young Doctors, only The Flying Doctors. Dallas wins this match for me.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,558
    Medals:
    Match 15 - Desperate Housewives

Match 16 - clearly Dallas - always and forever. My darling Dallas. DALLAS :)

• Like Like x 11
  6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    Medals:
    Match 15: Desperate Housewives
    (tough choice, but Melrose's first season and last seasons weren't as good as the rest, therefore, I vote DH).

Match 16: Dallas

• Like Like x 9
  7. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +567
    Medals:
    Match 15) Melrose Place - I've never seen either show so I tossed a coin and it was heads so Melrose Place it is.

Match 16) The Young Doctors - this is an easy one for me as it is my favourite ever soap opera. I used to love coming home from school at 3:30 pm in the afternoons to watch the goings on at the Albert Memorial hospital which was always high on melodrama. I've seen every episode ever produced when it was broadcast on ITV Granada daytime from 1983 until 1993.

As @Mel O'Drama rightly states, the hospital closing was a great go out for the serial and it was a fitting finale that original cast member, Gwen Plumb should be the one to turn out the hospital lights for the final time.

But all in all a fantastic show.

Oh, how I yearn for every episode ever produced to be released to DVD.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,558
    Medals:
    I've spent the last five minutes in a torrent of abuse at everyone for not voting for Dallas.

Then I realised that 'The Flying Doctors' was something completely different. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,613
    Medals:
    My tuppenceworth

r15 - tossed a coin and melrose place aka heads won
    never watched either and believe Brenda Boring Strong was in one and I couldnt abide her on TNT dallas so im glad heads won lol

R16 - No contest Dallas (BUT!! Original version only)

• Like Like x 8
  10. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,814
    1. Desperate Housewives - I thoroughly enjoyed this show and it had some great comedy moments. It lives at the bottom end of my 10 fav tv shows ever. Susan was my favourite as her clumsiness and heart in the right place often remind me of me ;-) All the leads were great in their roles. Melrose was fun in season two and three but lost the plot after that. But DH was consistently good all the way through. Original too the way it moved forward five years instead of like Dallas trying to dreadfully wipe out one.

At least Marcia Bree Kimberly Cross can’t lose in this round ;-)

2. Dallas original - my third fav show of all time. You know the reasons why lol. I watched The Young Doctors which was very popular in Oz and NZ. It remains just hovering outside my top ten shows of all time. Rebecca Gilling, Judy McBurney, Peta Toppano, Cornelia Francis, Lynda Stoner, Gwen Plumb, the list goes on, so easy to watch. Peter Lochran, Peter Bensley, Eric Oldfield, Alan Dale, Tony Alervaz. All so watchable and several swoonworthy.

Nu Dallas wouldn’t get a look in but the oldie was a goodie!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,254
    Medals:
    Match Fifteen
    I have no great love for Desperate Housewives - except for maybe seeing Nicollette Sheridan transition between Paige and New Alexis. They said it was gonna the new Knots Landing, but it really wasn't, unless your idea of Knots is nonstop Anne and Claudia thought bubble scenes. Granted, I gave up about two thirds of the way through Season 1 so maybe things changed after that.

I've never made it all the way through Melrose Place either. I waited patiently through the early stand alone episodes, enjoyed the soapiness of Seasons 2 and 3 and then lost the will to live somewhere around the end of Season 4/beginning of Season 5. I have vague memories of some the later seasons, with mostly new characters, which I found surprisingly enjoyable, but I never got to see the final season. Looking back, I think my favourite period was when it just started to become a soap, when Jake hooked up with Jo and Alison had her fling with Evil Cole Gioberti. I'm not sure it ever quite lived up to that early promise, except for maybe that one end-of-episode cliffhanger when Dead Kimberly turned up at Michael's door in the rain.

I'm pressing my button for ... MELROSE

Match Sixteen
    This one's easy. I've never seen YD so I'm pressing my button for ... DALLAS -- Old Dallas, New Dallas, Early Dallas, the whole mad saga from tip to tail.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,297
    Medals:
    Match 15
    Desperate Housewives - this show started so strongly and I found the first season to be very watchable. I kind of got bored with it after that and gave up completely after about season 3. By contrast, I gave up on Melrose Place after the first few episodes. Maybe it got better but I never really gave it a chance. On the basis that I watched more of Desperate Housewives than Melrose Place, Desperate Housewives wins.

Match 16
    Dallas - this is one of my all time favourite shows and I watched every episode several times. By contrast, I've never watched The Young Doctors and I don't know a great deal about the show so Dallas wins.

• Like Like x 9
  13. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,093
    Medals:
    First Howards' Way. Now this?

This World Cup is just full of shock revelations from you James.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,013
    Medals:
    Match 15: I never harbored any great love for either of these. I lost interest in Desperate Housewives mid-way through season one despite having positive feelings for most of the leads, having seen them in other projects. I never went back because (ironically) I hated how they became more and more like Melrose Place rather than Knots Landing.
    Similarly, I lost interest in Melrose Place when it became "too much"--too over-the-top, too clever for its own good, too fast and too silly. But I have to give my half-hearted vote to Melrose Place simply because Doug Savant reminded me of a young Mack MacKenzie.

Match 16: I never watched either show, but at least I've seen a few clips of Dallas and lived through its phenomenal peak years. Its fortunes were often intertwined with my favorite Knots Landing, so they get my vote.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,064
    Medals:
    1. Desperate Housewives
    Nicholette Sheridan pulled me in so I watched it from the beginning and never missed an episode ever since. I used to be happy on tuesdays when I realized a new episode was on. The show made me laugh and cry. Some stuff was over the top. But I loved the characters and couples. So I followed them for 8 years. I am now rewatching this show. :)

Melrose Place I only saw the last season of and then in reruns so I never got as attached to those characters.

2. Dallas
    It is my number one favorite show.

• Like Like x 7
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  16. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Medals:
    Match 15 - Melrose Place
    Match 16 - Dallas

• Like Like x 8
  17. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Medals:
    Match 15 - Melrose Place did deteriorate toward the end but it's more in the classic soap vein. Desperate Housewives didn't quite maintain my interest beyond the initial buzz.
    Match 16 - Dallas. Nothing more to say really.
    Funny, he had the same effect on me.

• Like Like x 8
  18. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,942
    Medals:
    Game 15 - MELROSE: I have seen all of seasons 1 to 3, of this seven year Aaron Spelling nineties drama. While IMHO it isn't a patch on the main prime time shows, from the previous decade, there was a good bit of entertainment from Josie Bissett; Grant Show, Doug Savant, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Thomas Calabro and Heather Locklear et. al.

Game 16 - DALLAS: The daddy of them all. DYNASTY, FALCON CREST and KNOTS LANDING carved their own niches, in the power hungry decade of the eighties. However it was the big D which set the tone in April 1978 for things to come and what a buzz was created, after the spring of 1980. The wild and wonderful tale of the Ewings against the Barnes would have people glued to their T.V.s for 13 years, even though I believe the last collectively great year was season 9 (DVD-10).

Cliff goes to the Ewing building, with proof that Digger and Jock jointly owned oil field 23. Bobby recently reopened the field. The youngest Ewing son leaves the office so that rivals Cliff and J.R. can bicker over the business of the oil, coming from the particular field, (a scene from season 2; DVD-3, 1979 - '80):

J.R. picks up the phone: "Harry Owens please!"

Cliff: "I must say you're taking this quite well. You're not going to even fight me."

J.R.: "Oh, I've learned in this business you have to roll with the punches."

J.R.: "Harry, hi! J.R. Ewing here. Fine fine. Can you give me a report on Ewing 23 please? 5000 barrels a month."

J.R. speaks to Cliff: "I figure your share should be about half a million dollars a year."

J.R. returns to the phone: "Harry this is what I want you to do. Close down that field. That's right! Shut down every single well."

Poor Cliff doesn't know what way to turn.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,297
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

Katherine Wentworth is correct, the poll does indeed close at midday tomorrow so vote for you winner before then. Choose who would like to go through between Desperate Housewives and Melrose Place and between Dallas and The Young Doctors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,093
    Medals:
    By the same token you could have voted for Desperate Housewives because Doug Savant reminded you of an old young Mack MacKenzie.

Even though old young Mack MacKenzie doesn't look that much like the old Mack MacKenzie.

Maybe I shouldn't even get on to old, old young Anne Matheson (AKA old Paige Matheson) in the same series.

• Funny Funny x 1