Worst Dynasty Characters

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by ClassyCo, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,506
    Leslie was an inconsistently written character but I find Terri Garber an entertaining actress so, to me, it depends on what kind of character she played.
    I like the scene when Fallon tells her that she's a second-rate Carrington, it's almost classic Dynasty.
    The timing was right for a new villainous vixen, but like I said they did a little bit of everything and the result is far from memorable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +254
    The problem with most, if not all, of the characters I see in this thread is the writers' insistence on taking things to the extreme.

Tracey had a great motivation: she worked her way up only to lose the job she believed she deserved to the boss's girlfriend (who had no prior experience in public relations). The focus should have been on Tracey's hostility toward Krystle. She could have been an Eve Harrington type: smiling to Krystle's face while stabbing her in the back. Instead they made her the company slut.

Leslie's shift from likable tomboy to Alexis wannabe felt awkward. It didn't help that Terri Garber had to act opposite James Healy. Once again, they took an ambitious young woman and turned her into the company slut.

Sarah could have been handled much better, she should have been introduced sooner. The writers could have misdirected us by having her and Dex flirt thinking she was his new love interest; instead we were introduced to her only minutes before her daughter was in an horrific car accident. What if we had met Cathy prior to the tragedy, wouldn't that have been more compelling? Sarah should have been written as a grieving mother, instead she was a raving maniac. Sarah's story was sad, it could have been heartbreaking.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +370
    I wish Amanda Number #02 had stayed just to have seen how much more awful she would have become......

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    Actually, I heard that Karen Cellini's acting was improving, and by her last episode, she was starting act more like the original Amanda (and even looked more like her too). So who knows... Either way, I wish they kept her instead of bringing Leslie in. I'm curious if Paulsen could have saved Karen like how he saved Emma...

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Yeah, KC's acting did get better, but by then it was too late.

6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Leslie - in theory - could've been an amazing character just by the fact they casted Terri Garber, who was fresh from North and South. She was the diva bitch that Dynasty needed at that point, especially considering how insipid Fallon was being written. If they only amped up that - as @Snarky's Ghost has put it plenty of times - "mini-Alexis ambitions" she would've been seen as a saviour in a landscape of damp writing. Unfortunately, the writers and producers were just tone-deaf and she ended up being a dead octupuss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,374
    Samms/Fallon was written and directed terribly in THE COLBYS, but she had already improved in season 8, way before Paulsen. Paulsen brought the character back to what she was in season two but Samms proved she could act even in season 8, even when the writing wan't so focused--just as long as it wasn't as suffocating as THE COLBYS. If Cellini improved, it was from insufferable to intoleable--in other words, not enough to justify keeping her. Now why they threw out the character with the actress--well, that's DYNASTY season 7 for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Samms also had extensive experience on General Hospital while Cellini was a complete newbie in front of the camera. Yes, it didn't help that they wouldn't give her proper directions, but I very much doubt Samms had it better. The issue with Samms was never her acting anyway, much like Garber it was the writing plus the direction.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +370
    By Season 07, NOTHING in Dynasty was logical!

• Agree Agree x 1