Would Dallas Have Been Better Off To Not Bring Patrick Duffy Back?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,750
    Medals:
    It's a really cool graph - but where did it come from?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    I liked Cally. And the early version of April (her being turned into a whiny clinger whom Bobby would tolerate was awful, though).

I always want Afton to remain on the show once she returned and, while Cliff is chasing Michelle, Afton becomes drawn to Bobby. Infuriating Cliff, of course.

For some reason, Afton and Bobby as a couple I've always been able to picture during the show's final chapter, despite their having almost no association during the earlier years of DALLAS.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    It would have been poetic for Bobby & Afton ended up together, especially after her being the first person who became suspicious of Katherine meddling with Pam and Bobby's marriage and the fact she found Bobby after he'd been shot, however we all know Bobby's rule of not sleeping with JR's exes, but he did break that for April, so why not for Afton, who was better than April anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,750
    Medals:
    Ewwww Afron is horrid. April is much better :)

5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    Late April needed to be murdered. And, fortunately, was.

You just don't like Afton because she slept with JR, and at least she developed some remorse over it... And is he not responsible for his own behavior?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,750
    Medals:
    No it's nothing to do with that. I love April and she slept with JR. I just dislike Afton and find her a hypocritical little bitch. That ok??

Certainly don't remember any remorse when she was criticising Sue Ellen over 'HER' man Cliff.

I completely disagree that late April needed to be murdered - why???

7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    April slept with JR after he and Sue Ellen weren't really a thing anymore -- technically still married, but nobody cared.

And while Afton actually cared about Cliff, Sue Ellen cared about nobody (although she certainly didn't owe him 4 million dollars).

Besides, you act like the marriage between Bobby and April actually worked. And it certainly didn't!

Why Cow So Whiney...

8. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Sue Ellen's treatment of Cliff was disgraceful when he was drilling dust on the Wellington property, and desperate for a loan. She not only dropped him like a stone, but wanted him completely out of her sight as she went back to J.R. Afton was a rock for Cliff, but he never appreciated it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,750
    Medals:
    Does it matter when April slept with him? He was still married. The same could be said for when Afton slept with him and the shape of JR and Sue Ellen's marriage then. And speak for yourself that 'nobody cared' - JR and SE were closer when April slept with him than when Afton did. I can't defend Afton - she was even sticking her hypocritical little snout into Bobby and Pam's affairs. Sleeping with a married man in his marital bed is hardly admirable.

Afton cared about Cliff yes, but Sue Ellen cared about JR.

Was Sue Ellen supposed to just give Cliff the 4 million @Mustard ?! How is her saying no disgraceful? Sue Ellen was also the rock for JR that he never appreciated until the end.

I really liked April and Bobby together and think their marriage did work. I'd take her head and shoulders over whiney Pam!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    She could have handled it a bit better, but she's Sue Ellen, so no one expected her to.

Also, Cliff brought that all on himself.

11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    But it's okay for April.

Is there some irony in there? Except that you keep repeating my points as if they fit your agenda.

Oh, so now late, clingy April is better for both Bobby and the show than Afton and Pam?

Wow, maybe this is why fan fiction doesn't tend to be very good: if the fans wrote their own show, they themselves wouldn't want to watch it...!

Or do you just prefer to see little brother Bobby with a pathetic wife like April because it makes JR's choices not look quite so bad?

Misery loves company, I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Not necessarily. But she should have supported him as best she could, if she loved him. She dropped Cliff like a stone as soon as the apparent "oceans of oil" under the Wellington property turned into worthless bone dry land. Sue Ellen just confirmed what Cliff once said about her "You're a user".

J.R. set Cliff up with a fake geological report. Of course, J.R. set it up so that the corrupt geologist would take any fall if it got discovered.

13. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    Pam wasn't whiny for most of her run, only in season 10, which was her last season anyway.

April was only good in her first season but after that she became annoying, she didn't have the same substance as Sue Ellen, Pam or Donna heck even Priscilla Presley 's Jenna was preferable to the bimbos of the
    1986-1991 era.

Early seasons Sue Ellen was extremely selfish, she was only with Cliff to get back at JR, which was wrong to use someone like that, Afton despite her faults, was right to call Sue Ellen out on her behaviour, yet next season Sue Ellen is responsible for Mickey's injuries by drunk driving, yet she never shows remorse for this.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Personally, if my own fanfiction had been Dallas, then I would have loved to watch it. And then re-watch it. And then keep re-watching it. But I highly doubt that too many other people would like to watch it. Lol.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    lol

Well, my fan fiction for late DALLAS (and most of DYNASTY, and parts of FC) would be loved by all!!

:jump: :jum: :yeah:

Seriously. It would.

• Like Like x 3
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  16. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Sue Ellen only showed remorse about Mickey when she stopped feeling sorry for herself, after discovering that Walt Driscoll was trying to kill J.R. by ramming J.R.'s car. Before discovering that, when Sue Ellen thought that only she was responsible, she felt sorry for herself like she had ever since catching her husband in bed with Holly Harwood. Sue Ellen's attitude was rather shocking considering that Mickey had the worst form of paralysis as a result of her alcoholism and the Battle for Ewing Oil stuff going on.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    I've read some of the Dallas fan fiction and on the whole don't like a lot of it, however, that is due to my interpretation. It's like reading a bloody good book and then Hollywood decides to make a movie of it...and the end result is not what I expected.

Cynthia Cidre & Co's interpretation of Dallas is another example of what can happen when a show-runner appears to not have a real interest in the subject matter but her perception of what makes good television.

Personally I have ideas on a gripping good yarn post TNT Dallas however would that mean others would like those ideas?

18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,136
    Medals:
    It might. It's of course subjective. But I find that all subjectivity is completely objective.

Don't you see?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    And even after this, she still turns to the bottle as a way to solve her problems when her alcoholism has caused nothing but problems for those around her.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    That said, I did like watching a drunk Sue Ellen on occasion. You never knew where it was going to end up.

• Like Like x 1