Would Dallas Have Been Better Off To Not Bring Patrick Duffy Back?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Thornton McLeish

Thornton McLeish Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You're right, but there's a clear trend downward.

The peaks represent the weeks Dallas was the #1 show.

I made it myself. It's based on Barbara A. Curran's book (the trivia section of each episode).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    They certainly got much better exits than Pam did

• Like Like x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,075
    Medals:
    Thanks Carl. :)

Cool, but what I would like to know is which episode numbers it was that peaked?
    Which events drew in the viewers?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    Conundrum is obvious. The last episode, so people tuned in.

5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    Another thing I hated about the last five seasons, but in the main the last three, was the fact that it was blatantly obvious that Duffy and Hagman really didn't give a toss about the viewer, each episode was one long playtime for them, the quality had gone downhill, no two ways about that, it became dumb, dumber than DYNASTY during its own worst years (and believe me, seasons 7 & 8 of DYNASTY was dumb) DALLAS was an intelligent series, maybe not in the style of say MAD MEN or THE SOPRANOS but it drew in viewers, even long before Kristen shot JR.

I respected DALLAS because it had strong women: Miss Ellie and Pam, and much later Sue Ellen, they stood eye to eye with the men of the show, by the 1988-1991 era, we had Michelle, April, Cally and James (yes he's the biggest bimbo of all of them in my opinion) it looked like a really bad teen drama that gave early 90210 credence in the acting department.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Thornton McLeish

Thornton McLeish Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +45
    For that, you'll have to check out your book. I'm pretty sure you got one. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    ...and out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    It's hard to fathom how it ended up the way it did. The women of Dallas had stepped out of the shadow of their husbands only to become the stepford wives when Leonard Katzman returned with Patrick Duffy. After the failed experiment of Angelica Nero and her wardrobe my impression was the women of Dallas were being punished for the dismal failure of the dream season. If there was one season where Pam was going to step up it was when she assumes responsibilty of Christopher's interest in Ewing Oil. That came to naught.

It's a major issue I still have with Dallas, an issue that leaves me dumbfounded why they sent the characters of Miss Ellie, Sue Ellen, Pam, Donna and Jenna back to the dark ages. It's only a gut feeling but I believe Lenny and Larry had a lot to do with it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,010
    Medals:
    Even though wasn't with the show during the dream season, he did create the character of Angelica Nero (although he claimed she was only supposed to be around for about 10 episodes, not all season). But there's was a conspiracy theory here that Katzman did that to steal Pam's thunder at Ewing Oil.

Who knows? But Uncle Lenny didn't seem to have a problem with tough women as long as they didn't reside at Southfork.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    I'm one of those that loved the dream season, considering it a breath of fresh air for Dallas. However, my biggest criticism of the season is how they didn't step up the J.R. vs. Pam situation at Ewing Oil. Some people say that Pam isn't strong enough to go up against J.R., but I disagree. J.R. was always wary of Pam, because she tended to understand his outlook and way of operating. I'd fully expect J.R. to dominate this feud early on, but this is the direction that they should have gone in. Pam is a fast learner, especially when the interests of her and Christopher would be concerned. And there's always Mark, Cliff and Jamie around to aid her too, so Pam would be a match for J.R. The Angelica Nero stuff should have been shorter.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,010
    Medals:
    I liked the first half of the dream season; it was the second half that just began to meander, the writers seeming to have no idea where they wanted their new plots for the year to go.

And while they did show Pam as strong to a point, I would have preferred the obligatory fireworks between she and JR for a while instead of her selling Bobby's part of the company after just a few months under the pretext that the non-existent fighting somehow isn't worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,075
    Medals:
    What I really disliked about the dream season was how fast Pam moved on with Mark. It was like her reconcilation with Bobby meant nothing. :(

At least Jenna spent some proper time grieving.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,776
    Medals:
    I agree, but I guess Pam was in a state of Shock grief, she was trying to move on too fast because the way she lost Bobby was raw, that's how I like to see it anyway:-/

14. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    The way I see it is that Pam had lost Bobby, but soon Mark was back in her life after she previously thought that she had lost him. The positives of Mark's return balanced out a lot of the harsher negatives that Pam felt from Bobby's death, not to mention how close Cliff and Jamie became and their support of Pam, as well as Jamie making up with her brother Jack. Pam had plenty of positives around. Jenna had very few such positives. Jenna had Charlie, but apart from that, Jenna had horrible "what if" thoughts in her mind about Bobby, which actually got worse for her after the immediate shock following Bobby's death, hence Jenna's breakdown. Unlike Pam with Mark, Jenna was unable to move forward with a new man in Jack.

Also, as devastated as Pam was after Bobby's death, she had the comfort of knowing that she and Bobby had just gotten engaged again. They were back together again just before his death, while Jenna's last interaction with Bobby (apart from at his deathbed) had their relationship very much up in the air, with the controversy of Jenna's trial and jail-time for manslaughter before they caught the hitman, still very recent. Jenna had more issues with Bobby at the time of Bobby's death than Pam did.

For similar reasons, J.R., Gary and Ray all took Jock's death very hard, while Bobby coped far better as Bobby didn't have issues with his dad at the time that Jock died. J.R. was always trying to impress his dad, Ray always wanted Jock to be proud of him, while Gary would be full of conflicting emotions about his father from loving him to hating how Jock treated him because he dared to be different to what was expected. Bobby was like "Come on guys, daddy is dead, now let's move on", because Bobby was content with his relationship with his father at the time.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    The same could be said when Pam left. Bobby's testosterone went into overdrive for April after Pam's disappearance.

Why the incessant need from the writers to have Mark show up after Bobby's supposed death, I mean Pam's dream. Perhaps it was Pam's unconscious self to handle the grief of Bobby's passing.

If we are to discuss any events from the 'Dream Season' should we not write this from Pam's perspective? Why was she conjuring up such events?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    Why would they take a vow of celibacy? Bobby also went through quite a few other women before getting serious with April, like he had gone back to being the pre-1978 playboy that he had been before he first got together with Pam. Middle age crisis.

Why not have Mark back? They had written it as a possibility for some time the previous season when Pam was searching for Mark. A section of the Dallas audience liked Mark and Pam before. Not everyone was huge on the "Bobby and Pam forever" sentiment.

Perhaps. But in the Knots Landing universe, Dallas' dream season is real, and Bobby's return is effectively the dream. Think of it like those science fiction episodes with alternate realities.

So regarding Mark's return. In one universe, Mark was successful in finding treatment for his leukaemia and to prolong his life, and decided to come back into Pam's life soon after Bobby's death, going on to marry Pam. In the other universe, Mark either committed suicide on a plane over the Gulf of Mexico or failed to find treatment for his leukaemia and died, with Pam dreaming him up on the night that she got engaged to Bobby in Swan Song, as part of her previous desperation to find Mark.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    I was one of them. I believed the inclusion of Mark was great, and despite most of us believing Bobby was/had been a playboy Mark really represented that lifestyle with his harem of beauties queuing up at his polo matches. I'll also add the inclusion of John Beck was good casting to play opposite Patrick. For a while there I enjoyed the blossoming relationship occurring between the awesome foursome, Mark, Pam, Cliff and Afton. Cliff's bromance with Mark was a nice change from his usual fights with JR. For a short time in the Dallas Universe watching the two Barnes children finally happy in their circumstance while the Ewing family appeared to be imploding was a joy to watch. Then for some stupid reason the writers decided to kill off the awesome foursome because most viewers couldn't handle Bobby and Pam being apart.

Personally, I felt the drama was in keeping Bobby and Pam separate. Would have been a nice change to see Bobby miserable.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    In a way, I sort of thought it was too fast as well. But I remember that there was a part where Pam and Mark talked about how she didn't see their relationship as the same as how she saw her and Bobby's to be. I think that Mark was something more of an emotional support system to her that she could eventually see as a romantic relationship, but not with as much passion and "young love" as it was with Bobby. In other words, it kind of looked like Mark and Pam's relationship was more about companionship between two adults who were trying to make the best of their lives together after going through hardships. It did seem more romantic later on, though.

19. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    This all sounds good to me. And I always hated how Bobby was just like "Come on, JR! It's been two weeks already!!" Seriously, WTH?

Did they show Gary's reaction to Jock's death and how he coped with it on KL?

20. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Yeah, Bobby basically just hooked up with every bimbo he could find as soon as Pam divorced him after she left. The Playboy was back and ready to party! Lol! I do question why Pam was dreaming up a lot of the stuff from the dream season. Why was she dreaming about things like JR wearing a costume that resembled something from Fraggle Rock at a masquerade ball where a dangerous assassin is trying to use Jack as a double for someone else? And how is she even dreaming up such in-depth stuff about people like Jack, Dusty, and Mandy when she hardly even knows them? Lol.

• Like Like x 1