Would Dallas Have Been Different In The Digital Age?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by pete lashmar, Jul 9, 2019.

1. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +923
    With access to the internet/social media that we have today do you think Dallas would have been any different?

Fans would be able to react immediately to characters changing heads, being written out or plotlines and execs would be able to see this reaction.

Would BBG have been replaced in the digital age? Would PD have been brought back in the digital age....would he even have left in the first place...?

2. Jabari Lamar

Jabari Lamar Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I don't see any reason to assume that things would have been significantly different, in terms of actually affecting storylines and hiring on the show, because of social media, any more so than any modern TV shows that are popular today. Characters change, get written out of plotlines, actors leave shows, or get fired, now the same as back then. Most execs and writers don't take their cues from what is being said on social media, because that way lies madness. Fans whine and bitch and moan about stuff on their favorite shows all the time, and no matter what you're never going to please anybody. BBG and PD wanted to leave the show when they did, the fact that Twitter would be upset about it wouldn't change anything. Fans went apeshit when Daniel Lissing left When Calls The Heart. He still left. Or when the decision was made to write Patrick Dempsey off Gray's Anatomy He was still written out. And so on.

The only things I could see differently are things that have to do with how societal attitudes have changed since the time of the original series. We may not have seen J.R. ever forcing women to have sex with him, as he did a couple of times, as Twitter would have exploded with complaints that this was rape, as I've seen happen when they've done this on other shows, like Mad Men. Lucy's abortion storyline would have likely been a bigger deal as well.

Also many of this biggest mysteries and cliffhangers would have likely been spoiled beforehand. Things like the reveal of who shot J.R. and, especially, the big shower scene with Patrick Duffy, would have probably leaked at least a day or two before those episodes aired.

And that's the main thing that would have changed, the audience would know a lot more about the behind the scenes things happening on the show, as they were happening. We'd know farther in advance what new actors were coming to the show, as well as who was leaving, and the reasons why.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lastkidpicked to be Santa's Helper

Lastkidpicked to be Santa's Helper Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,592
    Medals:
    You are spot on!

Add to this the fact that if Dallas were on the air today, here's what would likely happen:

@pete lashmar might record it on Friday night, then watch it on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

@Jabari Lamar might wait until Monday, then watch it on his lunch break.

@Taylor Bennett Jr. would wait until Monday, and watch it when he was SUPPOSED to be working.

@Kenny Coyote might record it, and forget all about watching it

@Swami might be one of the few watching it live on Friday night.

The difference is that back during the original run, you didn't have those options. Either you watched it on Friday night, or you missed it. This is one of the reasons it became a social event. Dallas made it cool to stay home on Friday nights. Dallas parties were the big thing. It wasn't "Are you watching J.R. tonight?" It was "Where are you watching J.R. tonight?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Piggy It's Kermit Outside

Piggy It's Kermit Outside Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,179
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    It might have been a lot WORSE. Imagine Mandy Winger in all her glory and 4D...can you, @Sarah?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    I see your point but it's not always the case. Game of Thrones is a rare example- people had parties for episodes of that.

I definitely think there would have been spoilers leaked and I can only imagine the Twitter wars over every relationship drama.:eck:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lastkidpicked to be Santa's Helper

Lastkidpicked to be Santa's Helper Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,592
    Medals:
    I don't know if you have seen them yet, but I've uploaded some D-pics on that very website.

Pictures of Dallas!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  7. Jabari Lamar

Jabari Lamar Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96

Correct. Lastkidpicked is also correct in that, in this modern era, a lot of folks would have more options to watch the show, and wouldn’t necessarily have to watch live on Friday night. But I think if we’re going with the hypothetical situation that we’re assuming Dallas was still a hit show like it was in the 80’s, then there would still be the majority of viewers watching it live, and you’d see it trending on Twitter and Facebook, with viewers live-tweeting their reactions, to what’s happening as it happens, first when it airs on the East Coast, and then again three hours later when it airs on the West Coast (and this is another thing that would cause leaked spoilers, as EC viewers would be posting stuff before it aired in the west). I’ve seen this sort of thing happen with hit shows today, from the aforementioned GOT to shows like Scandal, it doesn’t always last the entire show’s run, but usually when it’s still new and “hot”, but also for smaller cult shows, the live-tweeting is big. There was even some of that during DallasTNT, with cast-members themselves tweeting online about it during each episode.

But going back to the other ways people would have to watch the show, that could also be helpful to getting new viewers. For example I only started watching The Walking Dead in it’s 5th season, but after that I was able to catch up on the first 4 seasons easily through Netflix. And I skipped Empire’s first season, but the weekend before season 2 started, FX did a marathon of the whole season, and I happened to be home all day so I caught it and loved it and that’s what made me decide to start watching when season 2 started. So Dallas would have probably been on Netflix, or possibly now on that new CBS streaming service or also airing reruns on one of their little cable channels, so folks would have opportunities to catch up whatever they missed.

Right, that would have been huge. It’s hard to imagine the really big things that people cared about, like Kristen being the one who shot J.R., not getting leaked somewhere beforehand. And I know Katzman and Co. did a good fake-out by having Patrick Duffy film a fake Irish Spring commercial to hide his return to Dallas, but I bet somebody would have spoiled that too. Because, as I said, one thing for sure is that, like with modern shows, we’d know a lot of the behind the scenes stuff quicker, especially things like who’s coming or going. The instant Barbara Bel Geddes didn’t sign with the show to return, it would have been announced online that she was leaving the show, same with Patrick Duffy. And thus the speculation would begin about what’s going to happen to their characters, will they be written off, and how? Be recast, and if so by whom? Likewise, when they officially signed on to return, we’d get more speculation. When Jenilee Harrison was first hired, it would have been announced that she’s joining the cast in an “unspecified role,” and everyone would start guessing who’d she playing. And so on.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1