1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Would Dynasty have been better in another decade?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Willie Oleson, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,485
    Although that "realism" worked for me in Season 9.
    The addition of sexy Zorelli, his tiny appartement, all those pizzas and that precinct set supported that a lot i guess. :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 12:28 AM
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    I didn't like Zorelli, and I certainly didn't find him sexy, but that doesn't meant others didn't, obviously.

But my problem with Zorelli, and with Ginger and Krystle doing their "let's do outreach to the needy" sting, is that I had seen how in season 1 you had both a more realistic family, the Blaisdels, and the Carringtons in the mansion with its opulence, all wrapped in Gothic misery. While Paulsen brought back the Gothic element in spades, I think his down to earth elements that were successful were again at the mansion: how the women actually talked to one another--namely Fallon to Sammy Jo--for example. So whatever Zorelli and Ginger were meant to do, I didn't see it.

I am also not sure Paulsen (or most soap writers) could write a cop without using the full lexicon of cop stereotypes. I saw Ray Abruzzo on The Practice years later, and while his role there was secondary, it was actually a more nuanced one. Maybe there was a need for police given the season-long arc, but the Italian-American in Denver was too much pushing the cliche for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    I liked Zorelli because I liked how he played off Fallon. They felt a bit more like a natural couple. Plus he wasn't Jeff, so there was that. :lol:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    You know I can't argue with you there!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I think season 9 was in part of them trying to obviously move into the 90s - there was definitively a "social consciousness" element there that seemed to show up in sometimes hamfisted fashion on last few seasons of Knots, but also early seasons of Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place (something that the former couldn't quite ever shake and the later thankfully realised no one was there for that crap). Who knows what would've happened if Dynasty had moved further into the 90s? Enviromental issues could've been easily been a "thing". AIDS/HIV/Safe sex would've been a bigger thing I assume.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    I think it was in some ways also trying to move the show into the 90s aesthetically. The Fallon/Grimes dream sequence, for example, is most certainly not 80s. Same with Alexis appearing like a Vampire at the end of "Every Picture Tells A Story."

ABC just wanted to kill DYNASTY then, and there was no way to save it. But if they wanted, they could have had the show continue in mini-series form, like two a year for instance.

7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    Yes, Sammy Jo did "movies", Viriginia was an ordinary street whore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Jock's Ghost

Jock's Ghost Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2
    We have now and it stinks to high heaven.... you don't put on a glitzy trashy novel on the CW budgets.... haha. Damn their souls for remaking it. it pisses me off to no end since they could just as easy have done a revival, grand kids are in charge, Fallon, Steven Adam are seen occasionally. As is Granny Alexis and Crystal. the grandson of Blake, now married with his own kids and just like his gramps... throw in some trash, some Alexis scheming and u got a hit.... not some tepid remake horse squeeze.

9. Jock's Ghost

Jock's Ghost Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Season 9 was a step up from 8.... at least Dynasty went out with some life left in her... unlike Dallas. Too bad we never saw 3 or 4 more Dynasty movies.... Alexis deserved better.

10. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Nothing is ever completely of its time; the past informs the present. The influences of Alfred Hitchcock, Douglas Sirk and 40s fashion are appropriate to the 80s. Our tastes are largely shaped in our late teens and early twenties; Sammy Jo, "Dynasty's" youngest character, is still being shaped by current pop culture. Sammy Jo is the one wearing the trendiest clothes and listening to Top 40 hits on her boombox. The other characters were all influenced by previous decades which is why early "Dynasty" has a distinct 70s feel to it.

Steven's sexuality would have been addressed in a completely different manner either a few years earlier or later. Fallon's frustration at being an intelligent, ambitious young woman makes sense in the 80s; she can see that society is changing, but not quickly enough to accommodate her. A few years earlier a business career wouldn't have even been a consideration; a few years later she may not have been strongly encouraged but there would have less opposition to the idea.

I think the "greed is good" Reagan/Thatcher 80s are an essential element to "Dynasty".

11. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    In terms of music, absolutely. I don't know if that is true in all areas. I am quite mortified by many of my teenage TV choices

Early DYNASTY certainly has.

Not of this thread, but when referencing the 80s these two are always grouped together, and I see Thatcher as much more influential than Reagan, whether one likes her politics or not.

I think DYNASTY changed from "Capital is toxic" in season 1 to "Capital is decent if American" by season 3. After all, Alexis was a foreigner. ;)