Would Victoria Have Stayed 1 More Season If She Hadn't Been Misled About Pam Dying In The Accident?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by KayLloyd, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,235
    Medals:
    But why would she care if she simply quit her job and moved on to something else? There's really nothing dramatic about that, imo.

2. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Ultimately it's the execs & writers who make such decisions, however some actors ask to go out with a bang like Patrick did (and got killed & resurrected within a year) and others ask the door to be left open. It all depends on whether characters are worth returning or not. In the UK soap EastEnders Martine McClutchen asked to leave but was very angry when writers decided to kill off her character because they were angry that she quit.
    Well just look at Patrick, he left because he wanted to cash in on his Dallas fame and move into movies, but when no one offered him work, (or very little of it) he went back to Dallas. Martine was the same, she became very famous very quickly and wanted to cash in on it but was very angry when they killed the character off. Actors have egos and she obviously wanted the safety net to return if new projects didn't work out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,376
    Medals:
    Patrick actually worked a lot. And he turned DALLAS down at first about returning.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    Sometimes I wish he hadn't've come back.

I've often wondered if Steve Forrest's Ben Stivers would have really been revealed as being Jock Ewing.

Sue Ellen being paralysed in the explosion at Ewing Oil would've been good too.

I'm not dissing season ten (DVD count) as it was originally broadcast because it's one of the truly great seasons of Dallas. It's just if Duffy had not come back, I think the original storylines for season ten would've been so much better & meatier if Jock really had come back, albeit played by another actor. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,376
    Medals:
    Although I liked the mystery not being 100% resolved; it allowed viewers to project onto it what they wanted -- which is kind of why I say the Parmalee plot was DALLAS.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +687
    Medals:
    Well, as I said before, on her "Intimate Portrait," she said she could have chosen the money she was being offered to stay, but it was about her self-respect that she knew it was time to leave. I personally think that she gave her decision much thought and saw that, in the long run, staying on the show would hurt her marketing brand. And it would have. Also, staying on a show that basically told the viewers that they were idiots RE: the dream probably embarassed her. She made the right decision, though the show REALLY died the second Pam crashed into the tanker........

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,376
    Medals:
    She did call the dream "a nightmare".

8. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +687
    Medals:
    I think Kercheval and Susan Howard were very upset about the dream, too. Oh well, VP made the right decision to leave for whatever the reason(s) were.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,653
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I think that Victoria might have stayed one more year if:

1) The writers had guaranteed an Emmy-worthy storyline for her, a la Pam chasing Mark´s ghost or grieving Bobby in the Dream Season, eg firing Cliff at BW and actually running the company herself, or getting pregnant with Bobby´s baby (doesn´t this sound lovely: "Bobby´s baby"?), or maybe both things.

2) Priscilla Presley had left when she told she would, ie at the end of the D.S. But no, Mr. Hagman had to convince her to stay for two more seasons...Pam´s role got smaller once Jenna became a regular and obviously Victoria had less scenes to play when PP came aboard. Nothing to do with a rivalry with Prissy, because I think they had a good relationship.

3) TPTB had agreed to pay her the money she presumably was asking, so she could have started the melon-scent cream thingie much earlier. Just my 2 cents.

Anything but trying to buy her husband´s unborn baby with another woman or getting into an endless whining loop.

upload_2017-9-11_14-32-58.jpeg

Gotta love this meme
    (though has 0 to do with the text!)​

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +687
    Medals:
    I don't think so. I think when she found out about the dream season, she knew it was time to go. I think she was tempted, but not only did the dream season say FU to the viewers, it also said that to the cast. Knowing Duffy would be front and center again probably told he that Pam would be back to pining for him and begging to have his baby..... which is exactly what happened. Principal knew that Pam was going to be knocked back down to being a secondary player to all of the male characters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +358
    That's not what he said. What he really said was, "Hey! You're 71!!!".

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MenaceTheDennis

MenaceTheDennis Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I just take issue with the fact that all these years later Victoria still says no money could keep her when that wasn't the case. Victoria said in the fall 1987 issue with her on the cover of TV Guide that she had discussions with the producers to stay. Why discuss anything if no money can keep you? She has also said that leaving Dallas was scary. But I do believe she wasn't gonna stay until the finale. I think when the JR character took off she slowly but surely saw no acting challenge in Pam anymore and increasingly did it for the money. She would've been a fool anyway to leave the number one show in the early to mid 80s.

Heck, I think ALL the actors were doing it for the money after the ridiculous dream explanation. I always wondered what Bel Geddes, Keel, Gray, thought about the dream. At least Susan Howard has been honest about it. It was such a desperate, illogical, crappy thing to pull on the audience. After Bobby died and came back like that Dallas was over. You can't capture lightning in a bottle again by insulting viewers intelligence.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,376
    Medals:
    Bel Geddes was reportedly angry that Larry got Phil Capice fired, Keel likely didn't want to rock the boat, Kercheval allegedly didn't like the dream contrivance, Linda Gray at first asked publicly why the show had to be "saved" by reviving Bobby but quickly got on board with the company line (Larry later said Linda felt Lenny Katzman was out to get her -- maybe that's why), and Howard was most verbal at the time and she was quickly sacked.

Basically, nobody liked the dream scenario except Larry and Patrick and Katzman, oh my! But they were the only three that mattered.

Just like nobody wanted Miss Ellie recast except Donna Reed and the executive who arranged it. But they were the only two that mattered.

That's often how it works.

14. MenaceTheDennis

MenaceTheDennis Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yeah that's sounds right Snarky. I think it's the most extreme example of a show being completely undermined to accommodate one actor and his desire to return. I know Bel Geddes wanted more challenging storylines when she returned and Keel was willing to act any scraps given to him for the money like the Laurel storyline and Murder She Wrote garbage. Ugh show should've ended in the spring of 1986 with some dignity and while Principal was still a part of it.

15. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,034
    Not this old chestnut again.

The facts are that God created the world in six days & on the seventh he rested before he decided to create Man. Then using one of Adam's ribs (not the character from Conundrum!) he then created Victoria Principal! :p :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +687
    Medals:
    I still say that, tempted, she just realized the show was the laughing stock of the soap world and always would be. Anyone would be tempted, but unlike Hagman and Duffy (and to a degree, Gray) she didn't want to continue with a damaged goods show.

17. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +687
    Medals:
    BTW, who here wouldn't be tempted by someone offering you millions just to spout some regurgitated dialog?

18. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Maybe she was negotiating with storylines rather than pay. As her own agent she may well have stayed had the execs and writers come up with some great ideas and plots, but no, Jenna took centre stage with the pregnancy & her relationship/moving in with Ray. That just left Pam with the role of whining about how unfair it all was. Can't blame her at all really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,653
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I think the answer might be more simple than we may think. Take into account that she was there when Donna Reed was fired when she was on holidays, and also when Charlene was axed, and I bet she already had the feeling that Susan Howard was going to be "let go" even before Susan herself did. "Vectoria" a dumb woman was not...

upload_2017-9-13_22-29-41.jpeg

20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,918
    Why do some posters wish to hate on Victoria for requesting more money (if that was the case) while Larry and Patrick get a free pass? First up. This was an ensemble show. Some have pointed out Dallas would not be Dallas if it wasn't for Larry Hagman and his portrayal of JR. I'm NOT disputing that. But Dallas was only strong, as long as that core cast remained. It survived the death of Jim Davis (Jock) because the writers had the sense to ratchet up the role of Miss Ellie and introduce a brilliant story by way of having the boys fight for Ewing Oil. This story had a ripple effect involving all those characters we rooted for.

The first weakness began with the Barbara Bel Geddes/Donna Reed debacle. Then Patrick's departure and sudden reemergence upsetting the entire Universe. By this time Victoria had made her intentions known to producers her time playing Pam was fast approaching boredom. Meanwhile Larry kept finishing off nearly every episode with that winning smile of his. It was becoming repetitive and boring. Bye Bye Lucy, Pam, Donna, Ray, Jenna and Sue Ellen. Not even the matriarch of Southfork, Miss Ellie was spared. Meanwhile back at the ranch in that hay loft Ray and Lucy once frequented, Larry and Patrick - instead of rolling in hay - were rolling in money. I'm not denying actors should share in the spoils of a successful show but when that insatiable appetite for more money means other actors are dispensed with to keep feeding the King then you know your days are numbered, or do they?

When those key characters were kicked to the kerb, Dallas was over. Mediocre actors/characters introduced onto Southfork that Jock would have dispensed with in a heart beat. Who cares if Victoria had demanded more money or parity with Patrick. If anything she should have demanded parity with Larry. Pam was just as important to Dallas then JR. It's what drove the friction in the Dallas storytelling, the ongoing Ewing/Barnes war. For those that argue Larry WAS Dallas? Look what happened to the show when Victoria left. It was embarrassing to watch this once grand series become a shadow of itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1