Would you visit Chernobyl?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sarah, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,266
    Medals:
    A friend of mine is off today on a solo trip to Chernobyl, somewhere I'm quite intrigued by and it's got me thinking. Would this be somewhere you would go? There are tours operating now to the site of the disaster and apparently the risk is minimal.

But would you risk it??

[​IMG]

2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,323
    Medals:
    All things considered, I rather visit a beach in Jamaica.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,598
    Medals:
    You'd be safer in Chernobyl....:eek:

I would like to visit the area around Chernobyl for its "time capsule" quality. I'm sure it's now a bit more dog-eared with graffiti and such, but where else are you going to get a glimpse of what life was like in that time? It's something of a miracle that they've left so much of it undisturbed, or that their infamously savage winters haven't caused more decay. The animals have moved back in even if people only go there for a purpose (to tour rather than to live). The silence of the area (no human activity, no car/truck noise, etc.) was so haunting that a public speaker system was set up throughout the area to pipe in music to keep the patrolling police and scientists stationed in the area from going insane. It may still be there, playing music for the wolves and wild boars.

I was 15 or 16 when the disaster occurred, and since TV news had not entered the 24/7 news cycle yet, we heard about it in bits and pieces over months. It was also harder to get "genuine" news about it since the Soviets did not want to admit how bad it was at the time.

I watch this show on the Science Channel called Mysteries of the Abandoned where they visit places like this regularly. They will profile some place that was once developed, full of activity and such--then for whatever reason, was abandoned and left to rot. They're obviously not all as historic as Chernobyl, but a lot of these sites have similarly curious 'life stories' that I find fascinating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,787
    Medals:
    No thanks. Too creepy. I also wouldn't pay to visit the place where Titanic sank or other accident spots around the globe.

I am intrigued by the Chernobyl accident - and Titanic - but no, I don't think I'd ever want to go there knowing how people died or was contaminated -- and also how animals died. Pets.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,830
    Medals:
    No I wouldn't. I'm sure it might be interesting, as would visiting Auschwitz, but that's just not how I wanna spend my vacations. There's too many beautiful things and places to see in the world.

I did pass through Fukushima. On a high speed train though.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    Those of us in America can visit a disaster area much closer to home--any of the abandoned malls, for instance, like this one here:

Or, you know, Detroit.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    Medals:
    I did this last year and it was the strangest experience. It's a silent, dead, empty shell of a place but it felt like I could hear the very earth screaming at me. It was February too when I visited, freezing cold, snow on the ground. There's a feeling of aching sadness that comes over you. Well that's how I felt. I imagine Chernobyl would feel the same.
    I don't know if I need to feel that twice.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,889
    Medals:
    If I were in Kiev and had the time I would.

That must have been very eerie visiting in the cold of February knowing of the horrors that occurred there. I visited Dachau and had a similar experience but I was glad I visited.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,266
    Medals:
    Great answers guys thanks. I think that it's important to visit places that represent the bad things in history in order for us to keep things in perspective and appreciate what we have. I'd love to go to Chernobyl (looks like I'm going alone!) and Auschwitz is most definitely on my bucket list. Did you know that there are no birds around there? They don't land there or sing around the site :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    Medals:
    Yes it's so weird. There is a big fence around the camp, a wire fence. The birds land on the other side of the fence and are on the ground and in the trees but they avoid the camp. There was also the strangest smell which I cant describe. Walking over the places where the pits were is horrible.

11. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,323
    Medals:
    I would question how safe it is to visit Chernobyl. The half-life of the radioactive material used in power plants is many hundreds of years so any that spread during the explosion won't yet have decayed. As you can't always see radioactive material, I really don't know how they can declare the area safe for visiting. The contamination would have been widespread and would have been in the air and in the soil so how could they safely clear all that is beyond me. I guess they are relying on Geiger counter readings to test the general atmosphere but there could still be pockets of high radiation in some areas.

No, it's not for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,266
    Medals:
    Yes they give you little Geiger counters to carry around. My friend has just returned and I can't wait to ask him about it. I would like to go but like you would be concerned about how much of the 'stuff' would attach itself to me.

I guess like you did with Larry Hagman @Angela Channing - you could just run past it :D

13. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,323
    Medals:
    You remember that? Yes, I really should have stopped to say hello but I thought he and Maj looked like they were enjoying walking around London not being recognised.

Back to Chernobyl, I'm sure they will say it's safe and that the radiation you get there is no more than you get from sitting in front of a TV screen or something equally banal. However, the risk can't be zero because radiation is not like dust that you can just sweep up nor is it like gas which eventually will just drift away in the atmosphere. Radiation will linger until it is decays (after several thousands of years) or it is removed. If they can't see it, how can they be sure they cleared all of it away? As fascinating as it must be to visit, I would want to find out a lot more about the clear up process before I would consider going anywhere near that region.

14. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,266
    Medals:
    Of course I remember it, I never got over it!!! :D

Yes, I think what you describe justifies part of my hesitation in booking a trip. Maybe it could be part of a huge money making scheme, that isn't actually safe???

15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,598
    Medals:
    I hear they are going to build an amusement park near Chernobyl modeled on Disneyworld.
    The only issue is that the six-foot tall mouse at the front entrance is....not a man in costume. :omg:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,266
    Medals:
    The tour bus actually drove off and left my friend stranded. It was 10 minutes before it came back for him. Gareth thought that was how he was going to end.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,598
    Medals:
    Well, that does read like the opening fifteen minutes of a cheap sci-fi/horror film...:popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,266
    Medals:
    I know!!! Have you watched 'The Perfection'??? I think you will see what I mean!!!!! @Daniel Avery

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  19. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +956
    I'll give it a go. When do we leave, Sar ? What about clothing - is it hot over there ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,266
    Medals:
    It's warm enough Mo. Your fur should cover you but I'm a bit worried about the radiation levels getting to you.

• Funny Funny x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 6)