Would you watch Brookside if it came back with a few specials?

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Ome, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Someone has started a petition to BRING BACK BROOKSIDE and it would be incredibly exciting if anything was to come of this.

https://www.change.org/p/ralph-lee-bring-back-brookside

I never thought it would stand a chance of returning, but something the organiser posted really grabbed my attention and I think that would work.

Here's a quote from their page.

While I understand bringing the series back as an all-year-round soap is highly unlikely, what I'm hoping to achieve with this petition is a series of Brookside specials - finding out where some of the characters are now in their lives. If this were to be successful, which i strongly believe it will be as it's still such a well-loved show, then this would hopefully lead to more.

After 14 long years of being off our screens, it's time to catch up with some of the Brookside legends. Many other TV shows have been revived successfully in recent years, which includes Cold Feet (after a 15-year hiatus). I firmly believe Brookside could be too in the form of specials. This would be a nod of acknowledgement to its (deserved) place in British TV history, and how it was a forerunner to other Channel 4 drama's that have that gritty, naturalistic feel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    My mind is running away with me as I think about the possibilities in all this.

Even if some actors just made one special, it would be filled with so much sentimentality for many fans. I'd love to know how Billy & Sheila are doing and if Sheila has any contact with Bobby, Barry & Karen. Or what Heather is up to, along with Doreen, Tracey and Rod. Then there's the whole Dixon/Farnham clan, and Jimmy, did he get back with Kathy? Mick should be back with Josie, I always thought they could have done so much with her.

3. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Early Brookie was very outspoken about the political climate of Britain under Thatcher. The effect on employment, society and self esteem. That was what set the show apart.

In so many ways, today's climate echoes the one that Brookside thrived in. I'd dearly love to see what the show would have to say about the effects of Brexit (austerity, racism, unemployment, inflation, government misinformation) Theresa May, the DUP and the like.

It's probably unrealistic for most of those who've left the Close to return, as it wasn't really that kind of show. So I'm less bothered about who appears in the show than I am about the tone of it. They'd need to be outspoken, have opinions and not be afraid to offend or upset people. I want life in all its ugliness. If they can get that right I'm in.

But please, no exploding helicopters and bodies under patios.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,867
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    In my mind, I wasn't thinking of returning back to the cul-de-sac. I was thinking about one-off episodes (or maybe a 3 part drama) where we would follow (or catch up with) the lives of those we miss from the show. I highly doubt they would get many of the 80s actors back, but if there were some fresh ideas and a promise the actor only signed up for a few episodes they might be tempted.

Then if that takes off, it could open the doors for a return back to the Close.

That said I agree with you about the show going back to its roots. There really isn't room for the big stunts, not while we still have Corrie, Emmerdale & Eastenders out there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Original Member Since:
    Adam was a lad.
    No i don't think i would. Soap is a declining medium now and Brookside is best left in the past. I would love a digital channel to show the best of from the 80's.

6. James from London

James from London Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    Depends who it focused on, I think.

7. Angela Channing
    Cloud_9

Angela Channing Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,741
    Original Member Since:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +499
    Original Member Since:
    Apr 8, 2004
    corkhills.jpg

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
  10. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +630
    I'd sooner welcome reruns on one of the digital channels than an actual revival.

I just don't think it'd work, given the disjointed nature of a revival where the focal point (the Close) no longer exists.
    I know that the person behind the petition mentions Cold Feet as an example of a successful revival but that was a very different show about a close knit group of friends. Presumably the ex residents of Brookside are now scattered to the four corners.

• Like Like x 1
  11. StrangerDynastyTreeNat89

StrangerDynastyTreeNat89 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    Original Member Since:
    22nd June 2010
    If not a continuation then why not a re-boot?

I think Channel 4 were very very short sighted in cancelling Brookside in 2003, especially since Hollyoaks (Brookside's spinoff no less) which airs on the same channel, has done wackier and more bat
    S**t crazy storylines than Brookside did in its worst years, I mean how many serial killers, explosions, underage pregnancies, can one small village have? Lol

12. Ian Phillips

Ian Phillips Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all. I'm the guy behind the Bring Back Brookside campaign. It wouldn't make sense for them to be on the Close as it was due to be demolished in the final episode. I'm talking about specials catching up with some of the most-loved characters and hopefully that may lead to a series or two. It would be unrealistic now to try and get it back as an all-year-round soap. Brookside always proved it could thrive in other mediums. Anybody remember the Video specials 'The Lost Weekend' and 'Friday the 13th'. It actually felt as though they were in their natural element. For all those interested in signing, here's the link and if possible please share: https://www.change.org/p/ralph-lee-bring-back-brookside