Movies X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Discussion in 'Comics Central' started by Mel O'Drama, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,064
    Medals:
    The Dark Phoenix Saga is one of my favourite stories ever printed by Marvel.

X-Men: The Last Stand did their own "unique" take on this saga: a noisy, CGI-heavy affair rather with the tone of a computer game reliant on shock kills and big bangs to keep the attention of its desensitised, attention deficit players. Quite a shock after the first two films. That film was supposed to be the final X-film. It was certainly where I checked out with them (apart from a trip to the cinema to see First Class which left me plotzing over the wonky continuity).

But from what I've read so far the new film seems far truer to Claremont's original story of Dark Phoenix, right down to Jean being hit by solar flares on the return from a space mission. Lilandra's in there, too, which suggests the final battle will play out as it's meant to.

Even Dazzler is due to make an appearance (the character made her comic debut during The Dark Phoenix Saga, remember). It will be interesting to finally see a live-action version of Dazzler, something that's been mooted since her creation almost four decades ago when she was meant to be in a movie tie-in with Casablanca. She was planned to look like Grace Jones at first, but by the time she was finalised she looked like Bo Derek who was front runner to play her. Through the Eighties, names like Lisa Hartman and Madonna were thrown around by fans. Now it's Taylor Swift and the like.

Between this and the New Mutants film, things are looking up. Maybe it's time I paid a final visit to Fox's X-Universe before it gets sucked into the complex continuity of the MCU.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,064
    Medals:
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,064
    Medals:

And now it's next June.

4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,064
    Medals:
    The more I see of the film, the less certain I am of that...

5. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,790
    Medals:
    @Mel O'Drama Curious as to what you thought of the movie if you've seen it. Apparently, the box office is tragic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,064
    Medals:
    After the last couple of trailers I've balked at the idea of watching it, @JROG. The story is a favourite of mine from the comics, and I'd only go to see it if I thought it might be done well. All signs point to that not being the case.

7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,756
    Medals:
    It looks like Carrie on steroids. In space.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +651
    I enjoyed it. I could have enjoyed it more, but I didn’t leave the cinema disappointed. From the outset I was not one of those wishing for the stories from the comics. In my mind, Fox had more than one X-men universes. I’ve enjoyed the James McAvoy-Michael Fassbender series more than the Patrick Steward-Ian McKellan series.

And, I’ve much preferred Simon Kinberg’s direction than Bryan Singer’s. However, I’ve read that as much as a third of Dark Phoneix had to be reshot, but the extent of the rumoured changes may be an exaggeration.

Per James McAvoy in a London interview: “The finale had to change, for the better. There was a lot of overlapping parallel with another superhero movie that come out…” (this year). Some folk claim that movie was Avengers: End Game, others say it was Captain Marvel (or perhaps it was more of one and a bit of the other).

Though the first Dark Phoenix trailer had already spoilt something for me, I went to see this movie determined to enjoy it. There was enough meat left on the bone for that despite all the trailers, thank goodness. I particularly enjoyed the train sequences. I just don’t understand all the nit-picking I read about.

Also loved the little obscure 6-degrees-of-separation stuff: Like when the plaque was changed on the school’s gate pillar, I noticed lilies in bloom by the wall where I’d never noticed lilies before, and my mind immediately went to this line “There are roses in the flowerbeds, Where they never used to be” from the lyrics to the song A Woman, A Woman, A Century of Sleep – the same song used in a YT fan vid for J-Law’s Raven. In turn, that took me back to what Raven said to Charles in Dark Phoenix.

9. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Re the 6-min composite trailer posted along with the quote: there's a scene in there that has been omitted from the cinema version. And, in many instances in the trailer, the words spoken aren't heard in their proper place in the movie. And, I like to think there's more to the movie than what's heard in the trailers.

P.S. Claremont makes a cameo appearance in the movie.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 6:18 AM
    • Informative Informative x 1