1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

"You call this plain clothes…?" (Re)watching Cagney & Lacey

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    Yes, I picked up on that, too, but I'm not sure how many casual viewers would actually have remembered a brief conversation a week later.

That I don't remember.

Dory is now sans moustache. I found it odd that that was important enough to be a plot point. My own theory is that he looked too much like John Karlen. ;)

And now I can't NOT see Barney in the credits. Now that I know where he is he sticks out like a sore thumb. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    This reminded me of the twist at the end of Around the World in 80 Days when Fogg realises that he has miscalculated how much time has passed in London and he has another 24 hours to win his bet. Presumably the law in New York allows the time to be rounded up since it's unlikely that the perp's visit would have lasted precisely that long.

Meaningless to new viewer but a nice reward for those who were fans back then and maybe wrote the letters that revived the show.

I'm willing to believe that the incident happened on the Saturday, was filmed, and aired on the Monday. ;)
    It's worth noting that although Chris quickly takes control of the case, it was Victor who recognised the picture. Victor is often portrayed as the fool but Samuels wouldn't keep him around if he didn't earn his place on the squad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    All well spotted. I didn't notice the change in font but the post-titles credits and postcard from LaGuardia all got my attention.

Nothing much to add to your review except that Mary Beth's line to Christine that "You're hooked on Dory McKenna the same as he is on drugs!" reminded me of Val's similar admission regarding Gary and alcohol on Knots Landing and also nicely underlined the double meaning of the episode title.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    Yet another case of a duplicate name but here it's not only acknowledged but plays an important part in the scene.

As an aside, there was a seventies sitcom called Angie starring Donna Pescow in which a whole group of her friends were named Mary. One of them had no middle name to differentiate her so she was called "Mary Mary".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angie_(TV_series)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    I can't say I noticed the music but I couldn't help thinking how the two boys were being developed into such strikingly different personalities. They could have just gone with two generic kids.

Quite a different role. I almost wasn't sure it was him
    Nice to see an opportunity for Mary Beth and Samuels to bond that way after all his tete-a-tetes with Chris.

6. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    Continuing with my names obsession ... an arson suspect named Ashland? Really?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    I was somewhat surprised by Mary Beth's enthusiasm. It seems her enthusiasm for marriage in general overrides any reservations about Dory in particular. Charlie and Harve seemed more realistic about it or was it just male reserve?
    This reminded me of Richard Pryor's scheme in Superman III. The store manager didn't seem to understand it, saying that they would have to pass the cost on to customers when it was the customers who were being directly ripped off.

And more names...

The running gag about revealing Coleman's first name. And, more subtly, the names of the two companies - Rosenzweig & Sons, and Neufeld's Department Store. The latter no doubt named for Mace and/or Stanley Neufeld who have production credits.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    Unfortunately the preview scenes spoilt the tension, making obvious what should have been more ambiguous. I wonder who puts those clips together.

Harvey Atkins was there just about from the beginning as the initially unnamed desk sergeant but I'm thinking that they're gradually building up his role as La Guardia fades away.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    This is one scene that I thought I had remembered very clearly. Again, Isbecki seems shallow but, on re-viewing, I realise that he's actually revealing something quite tender about himself.
    I had the impression that Samuels had bought those things for himself but if he was expecting the boy that puts a different spin on it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,156
    I'm not a fan of previews at all. I understand they serve a purpose - to whet the appetite for the upcoming episode and to try to hold on to attention deficit viewers, posed with the remote control - but as someone who likes to watch things unfold organically and avoids spoilers and hints about any series I'm watching I usually give them a wide berth.

Yes, that does make sense.

The fact that he admits to being a Fanilow does actually seem out of character on the surface, but I love that his tastes don't run to the predictable or stereotypically macho. It's a nice way of saying something about Isbecki's gentler side without compromising the character.

Same here.

Yes, and the ambiguity works well because whichever way you look at it Samuels comes out of it a richer, more likeable character.

It's hard to imagine the Samuels and Isbecki of the very early days behaving like this, but I feel they were doing so all along. It's just that this side has only been gradually revealed to us as we've got to know them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    Yes, the subterfuge seemed wrong somehow.
    Very unusual, confronting almost.

I had to smile at that. Seeing him gave an aura of reassurance which was not really warranted. Metatextual, do they call it?
    An odd moment, indeed.
    Storywise, we learn later that the squad can't have two sergeants. Whether that is an actual NYPD rule I don't know but I wouldn't want to think that the whole medical emergency was just a plot device to promote Cagney without Lacey failing the exam.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    It's virtually Who Said It's Fair, Part Three.
    The reference to Police Woman is nice as it's the antecedent of the female cop shows of that era but it's interesting that she should identify more with the male Kojak. I haven't seen either for a long time but Wikipedia describes Dickinson's character as an "undercover police officer". I guess the distinction between that and a "detective" escaped me.

A teary-eyed moment, for sure. :re:

• Like Like x 1
  13. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +419
    I don't consider the pilot, Season 01, or Season 02 (and onwards) to even be in the same reality.

14. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    Not quite. Samuels is no longer a Grand fan. Perhaps the pointing of the clues to the squad, which Christine praised as "style" was too much for him.
    His scene was quite distinct from everything else. Filmed separately at his convenience?
    I assume that Martin Kove was unavailable for the week so the B-story was written around that. Interestingly, Petrie, who slugged him two episodes ago, here lies for him simply because he is his partner.
    Unusual for the freeze-frame to include a guest character. I liked that Christine had a Moriarty-like nemesis. From memory, she gets another one eventually, someone a little less genteel.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    Editing the two episodes together would make a great feature-length story.
    I was, too, I thought we'd seen the last of him.
    Low blow, in a way. Protecting the department is probably the one thing she might care about enough to sway her.
    It has added resonance in a repeat viewing. I had to remind myself that there were things we weren't supposed to know yet.
    Terry Louise Fisher knows how to write a great courtroom scene.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    I wasn't sure it was him at first. Thanks for the rundown of his career.
    I can't help wondering what Isbecki's reaction would have been to Manilow's recent coming out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,156
    Oh yes. I like to think it would have been another step towards Isbecki's enlightenment, but it would have been an interesting journey to see.

Now that's got me thinking about the remake that was mooted recently. I wonder what a 2018 Isbecki's artist of choice would be. It would need to be someone that was associated with the previous decade but still performing as a known name. Someone like James Blunt? Or perhaps Michael Bublé?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    Again, it looks like this scene was filmed separately.
    Amen.
    I'm not that familiar with Blunt but Bublé seems like a good choice. Schmaltzy and sentimental, seemingly at odds with the he-man persona he likes to affect.

19. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    I'm not sure that the DVDs even need season titles and this one is more self-congratulatory than most but I guess they deserve it after all the heartache.
    Presumably not an intentional reference to season 1's "Street Scene".
    I noticed the difference right from the opening fanfare. Obviously they need the extra length to include Atkin but it's better than the Dory version and the return of the hotdog segment is welcome.
    The time jump was a bit jarring (and I hate the "z", too).

I was surprised it took this long. I had thought he showed up earlier.

A by-product of the time jump. I would have like to have seen some of Christine settling into her new role but I suppose the decision to incorporate Daly's real-life pregnancy made that unavoidable.

20. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    Mary Beth's faltering use of Spanish has been a recurring theme since then as well but she's improved noticeably over the time.
    I actually didn't recognise her face but I should have. Her name in the credits reminded me that she starred in a short-lived 80s sitcom called I Married Dora.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)