"You call this plain clothes…?" (Re)watching Cagney & Lacey

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,602
    It's certainly a thing in TV shows. ;)

This is also the episode where Mark St Claire (Joseph Chapman) suddenly appears as a reporter. I remember being quite startled the first time I saw this face looming at me on screen but this time around I knew it was coming up (although not which episode) so it was more a matter of, "Oh here he is". Nice to see Janet MacLachlan reprising her role as reporter Lynn Sutter in the same scene. It's so brief she almost needn't have bothered but the continuity adds to the feeling that this is a real workplace.

2. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,602
    Newman. The "new man", get it? :hats:

That I remember.
    As I've said before, I see Coleman's expanded presence as La Guardia's replacement - a move softened by the fact that he was a pre-existing character. By contrast, and in hindsight, I think Newman's introduction as a major character was done intentionally to intensify the aforementioned spoiler.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +427
    It is in the US. The Justice Department even has guidelines for the use of psychics in law enforcement. It consulted with some 11 police agencies, and reported that the majority favour consulting psychics as soon as a case was seen to be difficult or unusual (over the more conservative path of holding back until all other avenues had been tried without success) – because that would help them decide whether to narrow down or widen the scope of the investigation. I suspect though, that they have a very, very short list of go-to psychics they’d rather use, who are tried and true and know the kind of detailed info the cops require Vs the 400-500 psychic strangers who hound them on every case with vague descriptions of everything and anything.

I’ve just watched a Portuguese talk show on YT that’s a few years old, about the Maddie McCann case. ….After the show hostess had screened a short clip from another Portuguese show that had featured 2 male Canadian psychics trying to locate Maddie’s remains, she remarked that Portugal didn’t use psychics, they relied on facts. She made a point of it: that the use of mediums was uncommon on the continent, but not in Anglo-Saxon countries. ….Her guest on the show was Gonçalo Amaral, the retired Portuguese police chief who’d been removed as lead investigator in the case. He revealed that the FBI had been very keen to assist in the case (but hadn’t because of the prior involvement of British police). Apparently, the very first form of assistance the FBI had offered was the services of a female psychic!
    Edited to add: Apparently the US law enforcement agencies tend to prefer women psychics.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,602
    This is the one I've been waiting for. The introduction of Cagney's true nemesis, her Moriarty if you will. I'm surprised it happens this late in the series. I thought I remembered both him and David being around for longer than this. I didn't remember that his first name was Bruce. Strangely enough, Bruce Mansfield was the name of a well-know radio and TV personality here.

I'm not sure I would have noticed if I hadn't seen the credit first but I thought I saw some odd angles in scenes that he himself was in. I wonder if that was by choice or because he was not behind the camera at the time.

5. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,602
    Another episode which remains as timely as ever, though I'm sure they would rather that it not be so.

Yes, I felt that. It's all explained quite well but the first presumption would be the other way around.

Yes, almost out of character as we've seen him so far but, as we've seen, even Isbecki is not as shallow as he first seems.

I actually felt that that was bordering on the tasteless more so than Mary Beth/Tyne's pregnancy being juxtaposed with the abortion story. It almost got to the point of playing for laughs which conflicted with the emotion of the father & son encounter.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  6. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,602
    Yes. And somewhat more true-to-label this time.

Also, Newman is being built up further, being more than a match for Cagney at the poker table and keeping a relationship with Charlie secret until it was useful to spring it on her. Interesting that at the same time Paul Mantee has been introduced under the radar, so to speak. As with Coleman, his character doesn't even have a name yet.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)