"You call this plain clothes…?" (Re)watching Cagney & Lacey

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,982
    Oh, definitely.

A spot-on caricature.

:D

It was Murder on the Orient Express in reverse. Not everyone ... no one did it.
    Interesting observation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,982
    Ironically a more conventional whodunnit than the previous episode's Agatha Christie/Columbo homage, a close-call for the Lacey's dream house, and the sub-plot about Cagney's Corvette showed her battling some inconvenient scruples when she couldn't quite stretch the truth far enough to make a sale. Some nice scenes as the squad reacts in various ways to Lacey's irritability, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,982
    It's interesting, though, that their positions change during the episode. Mary Beth becomes more comfortable while Christine becomes decidedly less so.
    Best was when someone asked her which series she was a detective on. \

And the two detectives were name Johnson and Masters. Nothing was made of it; the two names were even revealed in separate scenes.
    I had completely forgotten there was a second daughter. We don't see much of her or her mother.

That's been true of a lot of the issues covered. Good for the show but sad that we've made so little progress in real life.

She came into my mind, too. I was by no means sure why.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,982
    I had the exact same experience.

:eck:

When Bridget first mentions her grandfather, Chris doesn't know who she means, then says, "Oh, Charlie". After that, Bridget calls him Charlie, too.
    I suspected that their was something off about the nanny from then on. A real Brit would never have taught them to say it like that. :)

5. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,982
    Sadly, I was unable to watch "Parting Shots" due to a bad scratch on the disc. It had already caused sticking during the previous three episodes but this time it froze at the 7 minute mark and just wouldn't play any further.

I was already planning a hiatus at this point, with the hot weather coming up here, so in the meantime I'll look into getting a replacement disc before I resume.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,692
    Oh - that’s a shame. But at least the timing has worked out, even if the break is an episode early. There’s still lots of goodness to look forward to in a few months. Enjoy the balmy weather. :cool1

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,982
    Okay, let's try that again...

This is of course the episode which we were trying not to spoil earlier with a bad taste pun for a title

The unexpected nature is thwarted somewhat by the heavy-handedness of the preview scenes which leave out only the identity of the victim.

My memory was that it occurred earlier in the season, an impression which was abetted by the inclusion of Robert Hegyes in the cast photo on the back of the DVD case. A strange mistake to make.

I still have the feeling that this was to be his arc all along. I've already remarked on the name Newman. His first name of Jonah also implies a feeling of foreboding.

It seemed fairly obvious to me that the reason Samuels was pushing the responsibilities onto her was that he was emotionally unable to do them. She really should have been able to see that. Too self-absorbed perhaps. The surprise was more that he admitted it later.