"You call this plain clothes…?" (Re)watching Cagney & Lacey

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,207
    Medals:
    That's a tradition going back at least as far as Superman: The Movie with Kirk Alyn and Noel Neill cameo-ing as little Lois's parents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,207
    Medals:
    Very unusual Iif not unique) for a "part two" not to follow immediately. I wonder how they decided on that or seriously considered using the alternate title.
    One of my pet peeves is when English speakers insist on pronouncing French or Italian words ending in 'e' or 'er' as 'ay'. As my Italian grandmother and high school French teacher taught me, it's more like 'Boo-shair'.
    This only occurred to me gradually. It's certainly not an in-your-face Christmas Episode like the earlier ones.

You seem to have left out COST OF LIVING in your reviews. This featured the return of Cagney's nemesis Mansfield and another humiliation when she learns that none other than David Keeler is on his legal defence team.

The subplot is about Mary Beth's reaction when she discovers that a rapist who had threatened her back when she was in uniform is now out of jail. This makes three episodes in a row dealing with a rapist in the past of one of the detectives.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,064
    Medals:
    Damn. :confuse: I've no idea how that happened unless I watched a few consecutive episodes before coming back here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,207
    Medals:
    That does appear to be what happened. :)

5. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,207
    Medals:
    An example of the thoughtful writing of the show. Unlike, say, how it has been remarked that Knots's Abby's kidney donation was never mentioned again.

I've also noticed how the two leads have developed what are almost two separate parallel relationships. On one level they are still Chris and Mary Beth - best friends who can still go back and forth at each other at the tops of their voices - but suddenly on the job they can become Sergeant and Detective - especially if they disagree on how to proceed, when rank becomes Cagney's prerogative.

• Agree Agree x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)