1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your first experience of the Cinema/Movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Long Lashes, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +14,555
    I was about 4 years old and I have a vague recollection of seeing a cowboy film, but I can’t recall many details. I remember being startled by the volume and also being fascinated by the huge screen and seats.

The main thing I remember was my Dad buying each of us a huge bag of maltesers lol

Can you remember your first cinema/movie experience and the film you saw?

• Like Like x 10
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,451
    My mum tells me my first movie was The Jungle Book, however I really have no recollection of this.

My first memory comes from a holiday in Great Yarmouth where we went to see two movies in one week.

The Towering Inferno and Earthquake. I have no idea which was first, but I do remember feeling excited and anxious during Earthquake, made worse by the sound system. I remember thinking the cinema was was about to collapse and we would all be stuck underground...

If the Ghost of Christmas Past was ever to visit me in a dream, I would love to be taken back to that moment in Great Yarmouth

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,503
    To be honest, no I can't remember the first time I went to the cinema.

Some early cinema memories however includes going with my pre-school group to watch an Astrid Lindgren movie. It felt like a magical experience that I really enjoyed. :)

I also went to the cinema to watch the "My Little Pony" movie in 1986. That might actually have been my first visit at the cinema. I went there with my parents, sister and our two best friends who lived nextdoor to us. I remember I loved the movie but my sister's best friend got scared when the purple goo arrived and drowned the dream castle! lol

• Like Like x 8
  4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,410
    My first memory of going to the cinema was to see Disneys 101 Dalamations and being quite scared of Cruella de Ville.

A few weeks later my parents took me to the Cinema again and saw a double bill of the Wizard of Oz and Tom Thumb.

2 of the earliest films i can really remember - that i loved were
    the inn of the 6th happiness with Ingrid bergman
    and the 5 Pennies starring Danny kaye and a "blonde lady as his wife" who grew up to be Momma / Miss Ellie aka BBG
    they remained my 2 fav actresses up to this day although i couldnt have told you aged 7 who BBG was!

• Like Like x 7
  5. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,843
    My first memory of seeing a film at the cinema was a Disney too.

[​IMG]

I have a dim remembrance of getting really upset when a diamond was hidden in Herbie's fuel tank by the villains. I thought they were hurting him. I think I had to be taken outside, only returning once I was assured Herbie was ok.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,083
    We went to the cinema to celebrate my birthday (and to entertain the birthday guests):

It was the Fabulous Madam Medusa Movie!
    upload_2016-10-2_15-9-20.png
    I believe there was also a little girl and some mice in it...:think:

• Like Like x 9
  7. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,504
    My first memories of going to films, I was 8 and my brother 5. My Parents were separated at the time, and my Dad was not really great at picking films good for children. He took us to, Poseidon Adventure, Planet of The Apes, Bonnie and Clyde, God Father, and Vincent Price films. We would go home, and couldn't sleep my Mom would tell my Dad not to take us to films that are not appropriate for children but did he listen no. I did love the Planet of the Apes films but God Father scared me, and gave me nightmares.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,171
    My first memory of the cinema was going to see Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Obviously it was a re-release I'm guessing some time in the late 1980s?

I just checked it out and the film was re-released every 7 to 10 years. I think I saw it on it's 1987 re-release which was it's 50th anniversary. I was about 3 or 4 years old.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,083
    Awesome!:D
    So, you started with one of the best movies. Do have any memories of it at all? You were so young, but do you remember if it made an impression?

When I was young I always wanted to see the Disney movies (well, some of them) but they were never shown in the local theaters, or maybe they were and my parents simply didn't tell me (*cue sad violin music*)
    And because these movies were so "out of reach", they became even more enigmatic. I could spend hours looking at the movie illustrations in the books.
    And now I have them all on DVD - it's my very own little rags-to-riches storylol

• Like Like x 6
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,171
    I remember how huge the cinema was, and I remember like fancy white satin drapes that were pulled up to show the huge screen. I remember popcorn, and loving the film but being frightened and fascinated by the evil queen. The more I have thought about it I now kind of understand why were taken to see the film. My dad had just passed away and my aunts and uncles were doing lots of things with us. I'm guessing my older brother wasn't that impressed with it. I have since seen the film countless times so I cant be too sure of any real vivid memories from the first time.

I recently started buying most of the Disney films on DVD too, it started as an excuse for my niece to see them. But I think I like them more than she does now. She's totally into Dinosaurs and Paw Patrol now. lol

• Like Like x 6
  11. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,083
    The first time I saw Snow White (or maybe I should say the best parts) was when they showed a Disney villains special on television, must have been the early 80s.

I was so excited that I forgot to record it!

• Like Like x 5
  12. Jason73

Jason73 Admin EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    That was my first movie too! It's my favorite Disney movie and I remember that my mom bought me the record of the movie some time later and I used to love acting out the Madame Medusa parts.

• Like Like x 9
  13. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,083
    It looks like a place from American Horror Story.

• Like Like x 2
  14. hatayas

hatayas Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +356
    I clearly remember my first visit to the cinema. It was in a theater that doesn't exist anymore. I was about 7 or 8 and I went with my mom and a good friend to see "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". To this day this movie reminds me of that friend who moved away a year later.

• Like Like x 5
  15. That Bowie Girl

That Bowie Girl Soap Chat Rebel EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,310
    I have been told that my parents took us to the drive in often when I was little...my cousin even remembers going with us....I can't remember any of this.....not even one time going to the drive in with them....:confuse:

What I do remember is ....My Uncle took me and my 3 cousins to see Star Wars and that was like WOW.....it has always stayed with me.... that feeling watching that movie.....on the huge screen. Thank you Uncle Charles! :dance:

• Like Like x 6
  16. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,531
    What a coincidence, the first film I saw at the cinema was Herbie Rides Again featuring the second Digger Barnes from Dallas. I saw the film again recently and still liked it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  17. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,531
    My first memory of watching any film was seeing Kings Row on TV when I was about 7. It starred an actor that I never saw again in any subsequent film for over 30 years but I remember I really liked his performance. His name was Ronald Reagan.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,503
    Being brought up on a farm severely limited opportunities to go the cinema, believe it or not the first film I saw in the cinema was Rocky IV in 1985!

Swami

• Like Like x 5
  19. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +541
    My Nana took me to see The Sound Of Music. We had so much fun. During the bus ride back her apartment, I asked a couple of nuns if they had been in the movie.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,473
    I think I was born in a theater because I can´t remember a period of my life without movies being my favorite activity. As I already explained in the "gone" Forum, my father used to paint posters for the movie theaters in Barcelona. So I could watch the films for free, especially when they left the first release circuit and went into the double feature circuit.

upload_2016-11-5_0-31-47.jpeg

Therefore going to the movies was something that was part of my life since my early years. It´s funny but I can remember going to see the films you have mentioned above ("The Rescuers", "Herbie Rides Again", "The Poseidon Adventure"...I guess it´s a generational thing). When I really loved the movie, I asked my father to see it again, and if it was a Disney feature, it was shown with a short film too. I think that I got to watch "Peter Pan" three times in a row, in a theater...and then, of course, in the TV screen on dvd.

[​IMG]
    Back then, it was allowed, at least in my country, eating and drinking whatever you brought to the movies. Now it may be an odd thing to see, but at the time eating a sandwich while watching a film was quite usual. Due to my father´s job, I knew in advance what movies were going to be shown every week, and even invite some friends to come with me. My father painted the posters by hand, there was no computer, and he didn´t xerox the reference drawings or pictures, so it was a very traditional job that doesn´t exist anymore: the posters are just small photocopies and they hardly are put in the marquees as they used to.

upload_2016-11-5_0-32-14.jpeg

Of course, I also watched a lot of movies and cartoons on TV, though it took us awhile to have a color TV set, and everything was in black & white (yes, that isn´t a myth...). Later on, I and my brothers also were lucky enough to have a Super 8mm projector at home, and my father bought us a lot of Disney mini-films (they didn´t sell complete movies in the 70´s, only short versions of their classics that lasted around 10 minutes). We watched them outdoors, at our weekend house, together with our family and friends. Drive-ins were not as usual in Spain as they are in US, but home cinema was quite popular back then.

upload_2016-11-5_0-33-21.jpeg

There were a lot of movies that made a big impression on me :rolleyes:. Randomly I can mention "Planet of the Apes", "Mary Poppins", "Star Wars" (no "hope" then...), "American Gigolo", "Cat People", "Airplane!", and the TV re-runs of "Psycho", "Giant", "Little Women", "My Fair Lady"...In some ways, few movies have given more to me than these... (insert here "The Way We Were" by Barbra...)

upload_2016-11-5_0-35-56.jpeg

PS: About pic #3, I found this scene of a "Dallas" episode with Jessie Montford by chance, and it´s been quite a surprise!! :eck:

• Like Like x 3