Your Ideal Movie Roles For Dallas Cast After Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    The intent of this thread is to choose roles in movies which you would have preferred to see someone from "Dallas" in instead of the actor or actress who actually played the role. The time frame for this is within a few years after the actor or actress left Dallas. So it will be different for different people. You can choose a movie role for Victoria Principal anytime after she left Dallas. You can choose a movie role for Larry Hagman or Patrick Duffy anytime after the spring of 1991. For Duffy you can also choose a movie from the time when he temporarily left Dallas to pursue a career in movies. Pick roles you both would enjoy seeing them in and that you think they would have been well suited for, especially if you think they may have brought some new and interesting elements to the roles.

In the case of Victoria Principal, I know she made several made for TV movies after leaving Dallas. We can agree or disagree on how good those movies were and how good Victoria Principal was in them, but pick a big screen movie role which you think could have made her a bigger movie star than she became - something that you think could have made her thought of as a true movie star as opposed to a TV star who made some movies. I can't think of any of the main cast anyway, who after Dallas became just that - what people would consider true movie stars. I think some could have achieved that with the right roles, but for some reason they didn't get those roles and ended up being primarily known as TV stars, which isn't a bad thing, but for the purpose of this thread, try to choose roles that you think would have allowed them to cross over to being major movie stars as opposed to major TV stars.

I think Larry Hagman would have been excellent in the 1993 movie "The Firm" in the role of Avery Tolar which was played by Gene Hackman. I think Gene Hackman did a fine job in that role; this isn't a knock against him. I just would like to see what Larry Hagman would have done with that role.

I think Victoria Principal would have been very good in 1991's "Sleeping With The Enemy" in the role of Laura Burney which was played by Julia Roberts. She's a younger woman than Victoria Principal but for that role I think a woman who was Victoria Principal's age in 1991 would have been just as well suited for the role as the younger actress who played the role. Julia Roberts did a good job in that role but I'd like to see what Victoria Principal would have brought to that role.

Another major role from 1991 that I'd like to have seen Victoria Principal play is the role of Leigh Bowden who plays the wife of attorney Sam Bowden in the classic movie "Cape Fear." That's a role which would have pushed her to the limits of her ability, as it would any actress, since it's such a demanding role. Jessica Lange, one of my favorite actresses played Leigh Bowden very well and I'd like to see if Victoria Principal would have also played the role very well and what new elements she may have brought to the role.

Patrick Duffy was gone from Dallas in the 1985-1986 9th season. He had left specifically to become a major motion picture star. I would be very interested to see how his movie career would have gone of he'd gotten the role of Remy McSwain played by Dennis Quaid in 1986's "The Big Easy." It was quite a successful movie and could have done wonders for Duffy's movie career if he'd gotten the role, as long as he played the role well, of course.

What ideas do you all have for this subject? Is it something you've thought about much? I wouldn't say I've thought about it a lot, or I'd have more suggestions for roles for the Dallas cast, but it is something I've thought about from time to time. Dallas had some wonderful actors and it's a shame that they were utilized by the business so sparingly after Dallas ended!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Monty

Monty Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hagman was PERFECT in Oliver Stone's "Nixon"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Speaking of Hackman and Hagman. I think Hagman could have pulled off the roll of Lex Luther in Superman: The Movie.

And yes, I know Hagman was in it as an army general.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I´ve always seen VP in the role Meryl Streep did in "The Bridges of Madison County". Streep was terribly miscast in this movie, as was the director himself in his own role. There was no real chemistry between these two, and that was indispensable to make the story work. Luckily enough, (most) people liked the film anyway and Streep got her umpteenth Oscar nomination. With another actor a bit older than Victoria as her co-star, she, who really has Italian ancestors and well, was old enough to play a mother of teenagers, would have made a great Francesca Johnson...

[​IMG] upload_2019-3-5_11-58-21.jpeg
    Left: Meryl as Francesca Johnson in 1995, trying to make believe she likes Grandpa Clint.
    Right: In a parallel universe, Victoria playing the role in 1996 (she even has the same hairdo!)​

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +807
    Medals:
    Do you remember the TV show, "Home Improvement"? There was a neighbor named Wilson, who appeared from time to time offering a calming influence and good advice.
    Earl Hindman did a great job with the character, but I think Steve Kanally would have also done great with it.
    Steve Kanally could be the person we all want as a neighbor.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    I vaguely remember it. I think I saw it a handful of times. Wasn't the star of the show named Tim Allen? I don't know the name of his character on the show.

Was the neighbor you mentioned someone who had a fence and would talk to his neighbor from the other side of the fence without looking at him face to face? I don't know how I remember that, or if that's even accurate but I seem to remember it and yes, Steve Kanaly could have done well with that role.

7. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +807
    Medals:
    The basis for the character was born in real life.

While growing up, Tim Allen had a neighbor who would meet him at the backyard fence when Tim needed advice.

Because the fence was tall and Tim was young (sounds like a song you should write, Kenny), most of the neighbor was obscured by the fence.
    upload_2019-3-5_14-35-13.jpeg

8. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    Cool. I didn't know it was based on a true story. That picture with the neighbor's face obscured by the fence is exactly how I remembered it. I barely watched the show. Isn't it funny how we sometimes remember what seem like the most inconsequential things and sometimes forget things that matter to us considerably more? Thanks, Lastkid!

9. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +807
    Medals:
    You know something? That would make for a perfect thread here on this board.
    "What small scene do you vividly remember from Dallas, and you're not sure why?"

Headed over to start that thread now.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    Medals:
    VP guest-starred in one of the HI episodes, and she was FUN!! You can see her in the video below, she enters at minute 4!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,146
    I think Patrick would have made a fantastic Forrest Gump

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Whenever I watch the episodes of F.R.I.E.N.D.S with Rachel's mother, I always think Victoria Principal would play the role well.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    Medals:
    Funny you mentioned that, @Justine, because Victoria did play Amanda Peet´s mother in "Jack & Jill"´s Pilot, a two-season dramedy that quite obviously was following the "Friends" path. Though Victoria was later re-cast when her character showed up again.

:omg:

14. Ollie james

Ollie james Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Maybe Patrick and Victoria could appear in Family guy...wait a minute that could never happen i must be dreaming......

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    Marc Singer who played Matt Cantrell played the starring role in"The Beastmaster" co-starring Tanya Roberts as "Kiri". Instead of Tanya Roberts (of Charlie's Angels fame), how about Deborah Shelton in the role of Kiri? Or i any of Tanya Roberts' roles? Deborah Shelton could have been one of Charlie's Angels.

Deborah Shelton was in a movie just before she started in Dallas. She played one of the starring roles in "Body Double." The woman who played the role of her body double (storyline - not an actually body double) is Melanie Griffith. It was one of Melanie Griffith's first big roles. With her looks, Deborah Shelton could have played just about nay role requiring a beautiful woman with just average acting ability. Bo Derek was a lousy actress yet became very famous after starring in "10" with Dudley Moore. Deborah Shelton would have been just as good or better than Bo Derek in "10."

John Beck (Mark Graison) was a good actor and he looked like a movie star. I can picture him as a football player or as a football coach. Maybe in the role of the football coach in Friday Night Lights played by Billy Bob Thornton. I can see him playing a variety of roles well. The mustache he had in Dallas reminds me a little of the character "Mike Hammer" who was played by Stacey Keach in both a TV series and in some Mike Hammer movies. Do you think John Beck would have been good in a Mike Hammer movie?

Finally, John Beck reminds me some of one of the actors who starred in "No Country For Old Men." He could have played the character who Josh Brolin played, especially if the movie had been made a few years earlier, since Josh Brolin is younger than John Beck. I think Beck and Brolin look somewhat alike especially with a very similar haircut and mustache. Beck's age is somewhere i between that of Josh Brolin and Burt Reynolds - another actor who played characters who I think John Beck could have played as well.

A picture of Mike Hammer https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-m...a-1984-regie-gary-nelson-stacy-125639709.html

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +876
    Even better than Ken Kercheval would have been as Forrest?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,146
    Ken was a fantastic actor to be sure, but I’m not sure he could have pulled off the running scenes with the same vigor

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,146
    Introducing a new James Bond for 1980: He's suave, he's debonair, he's gruff, he has a wildly inconsistent British accent, he's Jim Davis!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019