1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your TV viewing habits

Discussion in 'The Lockdown Lounge' started by Mel O'Drama, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,119
    Medals:
    How much do you watch per day? This being primarily a site to discuss television shows I'm curious. :think:

Let's include box sets, streaming, watching complete shows online and watching films on TV/Blu Ray/DVD/VHS. Any which way, really.

Some things to think about:
    • What's your preferred medium ("live" TV/streaming/physical box sets)?
    • Does your viewing change with external factors such as the weather or the seasons?
    • Are there times when you'd never have the TV on (mornings/daytime/3am/Christmas/the Sabbath)?
    • Do you binge or do you prefer to pace yourself?
    • Do you tend to watch multiple things alongside one another or do you get stuck into just one or two series?

Confess all below...

• Like Like x 3
  2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,557
    Medals:
    I prefer to binge watch TV with box sets

or watch 1 or 2 series at a time

Right now I have started to watch Fearless on ITV, Broken on BBC and Poldark but all on Iplayer

tend to watch less TV in the summer and still avoid most reality TV at all costs! Never watch TV in the early hours, Im in bed!

never watch morning TV, and the last time i watched a breakfast show Pat Duffy was giving an exclusive interview on his return to Dallas in 1986, thats the only time i watched breakfast TV along with a Howard keel interview

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,967
    Medals:
    I tend to get hooked on things and know instantly whether I'll like them or not. I love OITNB - but I couldn't get into Breaking Bad at all. I get most of my box sets from Netflix. I like some reality tv like The Apprentice and America's Next Top Model and first thing in the morning with breakfast I will always watch Frasier.

I absolutely have to sit down with a movie at some point, usually the weekend. And a nice glass of wine and a meal.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,557
    Medals:
    I agree @Sarah - my first impressions are important and i usually make my mind up pretty quickly about a show

For that reason i disliked Friends, Sex and the city, Desperate Housewives and gave them a wide berth despite others enoying them and ddnt follow the hype
    by that account i realise people who didnt like Dallas in the 80s must have felt lol

I dont have netflix so usually buy box sets from Amazon or HMV

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,942
    There's nothing we enjoy more than to sit in front of the TV each evening and follow our favourite shows.

It's both live TV and we bingewatch other drama through our SKY channel boxsets

No, absolutely not.

We have the early morning news on through the week and we have music on weekend mornings

Much prefer to binge, unless it's live TV, obviously :lol:
    It depends. I personally prefer to stick with one show, but right now I'm doing ARROW, THE FLASH & SUPERGIRL because they are linked and I want to watch them in the order that follows the entire story.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,435
    Medals:
    Thinking about this I don't actually watch live TV anymore and haven't done for a long time. There is so much shit and reality stuff on now that I find it annoying and even draining to have on in the background. I used to always watch EastEnders but I gave up on that some years ago too.
    I prefer to watch boxsets and I like to actually own the physical boxset. As if I invest the time to watch an entire series then I obviously love it and will watch it again. I'm also a binge watcher and I do like Netflix too. I mostly watch things on my laptop or on the TV in my bedroom via DVD. I don't actually get any TV Channels in my bedroom as there isn't even a digibox anymore, just the DVD player.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,764
    Medals:
    I watch between 1 hour and 3-4 hours a day.

What's your preferred medium ("live" TV/streaming/physical box sets)?
    TV.

Does your viewing change with external factors such as the weather or the seasons?
    Yes. Some periods have all my favorite shows, while some have limited. Summers is low-time.

Are there times when you'd never have the TV on (mornings/daytime/3am/Christmas/the Sabbath)?
    Mornings, unless I am at home and am bored.

Do you binge or do you prefer to pace yourself?
    I don't like to binge, certainly not more than 3 episodes a day!

Do you tend to watch multiple things alongside one another or do you get stuck into just one or two series?
    Usually, it's more than 1. But not as much as 15. Approximately around 5-7.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 16 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,092
    Medals:
    I watch relatively little TV although the most of it would be sport (F1, rugby).

By and large I stick to my box sets (Dallas, the classic British comedies etc).

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 15 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,407
    Medals:
      • What's your preferred medium ("live" TV/streaming/physical box sets)?

Streaming via Netflix and Downloaded Movies.
      • Does your viewing change with external factors such as the weather or the seasons?

Probably watch less in the Summer months.
      • Are there times when you'd never have the TV on (mornings/daytime/3am/Christmas/the Sabbath)?

Never during the day.
      • Do you binge or do you prefer to pace yourself?

We pace ourselves, mostly. Only binge if it's really, really good.
      • Do you tend to watch multiple things alongside one another or do you get stuck into just one or two series?

No more than 3 or 4 series at a time. At the moment we're enjoying "Wentworth", Season 5 / "The Handmaid's Tale" / "Grantchester", Season 3
      / "Big Little Lies".

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    Medals:
    When I was a teenager I always had 'something' to watch, despite there only being four or five channels. Now I can count on one hand the TV shows I make a point to see, despite having about eighty channels on my cable package. I'm constantly being told that this is a "golden era" of good TV, but I guess I've just found other things to distract me. If the Nielsen people were to contact me to help with their ratings notebooks, they would regret ever asking. ;) I watch so little TV worth recording that I don't even have a DVR, though my old VCR is in a box somewhere....:eek: This leaves me very little opportunity to 'binge' watch, as I prefer to pace myself.

The few shows I make an effort to see are usually watched "live", if at all possible. I used to watch General Hospital through Comcast's OnDemand system (next day), but it's become so ho-hum lately that I don't bother. I can see the Thursday episode "live" and get the gist of what's happening from that one episode per week. A committee I joined insists on holding their bi-weekly meetings on Saturday nights from 7 to 9, which means missing the first fifteen minutes of Doctor Who every other week. I figure I'll eventually see it in reruns (BBC-America reruns things ad nauseam) but it's still kind of funny how I scheme to shut down all the questions/discussions as we inch closer to 9pm.

I often leave the TV turned off, choosing instead to listen to the radio--music or talk. I picked up that habit from a former job that put me in the car for several hours per week. Even more often, however, is the TV playing as "background noise".

• Like Like x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,850
    Medals:
    I can't remember the last time I touched the TV, except for dusting it.
    Everything I need is on my DVDs or YouTube - or rental DVDs from the library (for the current shows, like American Horror Story etc)

There are quite a few programmes on TV that I'd like to see but:
    a) I don't have the time because I'm watching the classics.
    b) broadcasting has become so scattered with all those channels (and I only have the basic ones).
    c) I don't like to wait for new episodes. The length of time between new seasons is sometimes absurd.
    d) Reading the TV guide makes my head spin, so now I only read the comic strips. Maybe it's time to cancel my subscription.

I watch one tv series at a time, and every now and then a stand-alone mystery/thriller episode or cheesy tv movie.

I only watch my soaps when I'm decent.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,119
    Medals:
    Recently I've been watching somewhere between an hour and an hour and a half, but the nice weather this week has meant that I've watched less than an hour. The TV hasn't gone on until around 9:30pm.

DVD/Blu Ray for serious watching. I'll occasionally watch the news or a crappy game show as it airs.

The weather affects my viewing drastically. A cold, wet, Sunday afternoon is perfect for getting cosy and watching back-to-back films or TV episodes. I feel quite guilty having the TV on when the weather's nice and so watch far less in the summer months.

Those wet weekend matinees aside, I wouldn't have the TV on in the daytime. In the winter it may come on at 7 or 8pm. In the summer 9 or 9.30pm. It's usually off before 10pm unless I watch the news.

I usually watch one series box set with the occasional film or play for variety. Now and then I'll watch two contrasting series concurrently - like a drama and a sitcom - but still padded out with the odd film.

My viewing may be quick by some standards, but overall I like to think I pace myself.

It's taken me forty days to view sixty episodes of the last show I watched. That's averaged an episode and a half per day at around 48 minutes per episode. Far quicker than the four years in which it originally aired, but slow enough to fully experience it.

I've done some serious binge watching in the past, but any sense of satisfaction felt short-lived. I find the slower (and less frequently) I watch, the more a show resonates with me. When I find myself thinking about the next episode, that's when I force myself to switch off and enjoy the suspense. That sense of anticipation - giving brain time to wondering what happens next - is a thrilling experience and, to me, one of the most important.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,764
    Medals:
    There are quite many TV shows (non-scripted) in Sweden that I like. Mostly lifestyle shows, documentaries and entertainment. It's mostly these that I watch on TV. I don't see many TV-series on TV - those I either stream or watch the DVDs.

One of the best summer shows begins again June 22. Summer with Ernst. My House-God. He chooses a worn down house each summer and renovates it to fit the feel of the house. And cooks food etc etc.

There's also Christmas with Ernst airing every December. :)